Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Sachs clutch supplied with my 5 sp conversion to my 2005 Passat TDI started slipping almost immediately after the installation, probably due to the Malone 1.5 tune which was done at the same time.

Recently there has also been an intermittent rattling type noise coming from the clutch/ transmission area. When that happens I can also feel the vibration thru the clutch pedal and at this point I am not sure if the vibration is related to the clutch problem.

The vibration/rattling does not occur while the clutch is slipping, but rather it occurs just under normal driving conditions.

My questions are:

What are the recommendations for a replacement clutch that will handle the Malone tune and
what might be causing the vibration/rattling that I feel in that area.

The car is now waiting to have the transmission removed so we don't know what to expect other than the "bad" clutch.

Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
what flywheel did you use? I went with the 1.9L euro tdi flywheel and clutch on mine. No tune yet.
Just looked at the date. How did you resolve your problem?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
what flywheel did you use? I went with the 1.9L euro tdi flywheel and clutch on mine. No tune yet.
Just looked at the date. How did you resolve your problem?
I went with a pkg. supplied by Matt Whitbread which comprised of a Clutch Masters (South Bend) clutch (rated for 375ft/lbs) and a flywheel of Matt's design (I believe). The pkg was quite expensive at almost $1000 (shipped) but I hope I will no longer be concerned with clutch failure.
I believe the Malone 1.5 is developing app. 320 lbs which in my opinion is more than adequate for a FWD car. The wagon hauls ass with that tune. At highway speeds in 5th you just stomp on it and it goes, although with that much torque one should always be careful as it's the weakess link that will fail, so if the clutch doesn't slip then maybe the gear box will suffer.
I only have a few thousand miles on the set-up and no slippage yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got a stage 2 Malone tune a few weeks ago and mine slips in 4th and 5th. I have looked at his flywheel and clutch. I am considering it. I am hoping to find a less expensive alternative. Thanks for your reply.

Anyone wanting to do a tune, do not use the Valeo SMF kit 835012 for the European 1.9tdi because it will not hold or hold for long. My clutch might have 7000miles on it and as soon as I got the tune it would slip the clutch in 4th and 5th gear under moderate to heavy boost.

That being said, it's a great clutch if your planning on running it stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Anybody want to buy my 1.9 Euro Spec Valeo setup ? It all brand new and in the box . Clutch, Flywheel and all.
After reading numerous threads on this subject; I have decided to go with the South Bend Clutch Daily driver Stage 2 setup .
Thoughts ?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm considering doing the B5.5 swap on my TDI. Any input:
Real finished Cost?
A reliable shop in the S.F. Bay area?
5 or 6 speed and where to purchase?
Any other experienced wisdom?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts