Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm in the middle of diagnosing the problem, but I thought I'd put it out there.

I push in the clutch and it drags (i.e. the clutch doesn't dis-engage) so I can't put it in gear unless I do so before I start the car. If I've got it in gear when I start it, the clutch won't engage until I let the pedal out. After that, if I floor the clutch again, it dis-engages some, but still slips.

I bled the system and it didn't help. I replaced the master and slave cylinders and it is still the same. I'm thinking there may be something broken on the flywheel or pressure plate. Right now, I've got the transmission completely removed from the engine, but I'm waiting for some help to drop it and (hopefully) figure out what's wrong.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - I finally got the transmission off and pulled the pressure plate down to find that it had broken in half. I'm amazed.

The car has 73,000 miles and has been babied the whole time I've had it. It will cost me about $600 for tools, master and slave cylinders, clutch disc and pressure plate plus a whole bunch of my time.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was the original clutch. I'm thinking it must have been a material problem. The pressure plate is a steel casting, so it must have had some fissures to make it weak. My surprise is that this appears to be a pretty rare event.

The $600 would probably be around $2000-3000 if I had a stealership perform the work. So I'm pretty pleased I've got the time to wrench on it.

-Cullen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
NVMYB5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing