Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow club B5er's;

Just had a new Bully stage III clutch and Fidanza Light Weight Fly Wheel installed at my local vw dealer. I researched alot within the club and decided on this repair/mod. I approach every maintenance issue with the view of "making it better".

Clutch description: it is a six puck clutch, half kevlar, half ceramic. It is lighter than the stock disc style in this configuration and should shed heat better. (as per the shop that manufactures them.)

The Fidanza flywheel is 450/1000" thinner and CNC'd from aluminum. It weighs way less than the worn out stock one. The O.E. one was surface scarred and the centre hub was worn beyond service. It had to go.

While the tranny was out, I had new fluid put in, and there was a few bent parts and worn out needle bearings and such that were also replaced. It was shifting like crap between first and second, and the others were bad as well.

Besides the cost, I am pleased with this improvement. The shifting action has improved greatly with the new parts replacing the old bent stuff.

Clutch pedal is just as light as before, and there is a definate progression during depression of the pedal. Very Nice.

Considerging the extreme wear of the old unit, the new one provides alot more "clamping" force. It still can be modulated for slow starts, but the "sweet spot" for slow manoevering is alot smaller.

The LWFW makes revs alot faster. Even when rolling, there is enough of a difference that the tires will break traction in first. The overall feel is alot crisper. Heel-to-toe to match revs while down shifting is necessary as the revs drop alot faster too. So far, the only noticable side effect is a bit more "buzziness" when compression braking above 3000 RPM's.

I really like the outcome, as now there is more of a performance feel to the drive line. There is a bit more attention required when driving when compared to stock, with the "grabbier" clutch and the rev matching on down shifts, but it makes driving the car alot more rewarding. Once everything is bedded/seated I will be able to report on the WOT shifting and revving nature of this mod.

This is not for the every day driver unless you are looking for a more direct feel to your manual driving. I really like mod and reccomend it for anyone looking to improve on the "cruiser feel" in the O.E. clutch/flywheel assembly.

Cheers,

Malcolm

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
vw dealer installing aftermarket parts? What are we coming too? Sounds like its fun to drive, v6 or 1.8t? Also where'd you get the fly wheel from?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Pancreas,

This was in a 1.8T. I had it into the dealer as they actually had lower prices on the O.E. clutch and pressure plate than anyone else I could find. But when it all came apart and the flywheel needed replacing the total for parts climbed above the aftermarket parts that I really wanted in the first place. (the O.E. flywheel was $995 CDN!)

So I had them put the aftermarket package in. I had to sign a release from liability for non-O.E. parts and there was no warranty. I am confident that their mechanic did a good job of it all, the only hurdle was the O.E. bolts that hold the flywheel on were too long and needed to be cut down. I was there during this part, and discussed it with the parts and service guy and the mechanic too. Ottawa clutch gave a three month parts warranty.

I tried to drum up support from the Group Buy forum, but there were no takers in the short period I had as my clutch was toast.

Cheers,

Malcolm

·
Registered
706 Posts
Interesting. Have you done any starting on a steep hill? How hard is it?

I'm getting decent at heel-and-toe shifting so maybe I can handle such a setup...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey glyphin,

Hill starts are a bit trickier, but still manageable. If I have someone right on my tail and have zero room for a bit of roll-back, I'll use the E-brake to hold me there and let the e-brake out as the clutch grabs. Once the clutch is beginning to engage, you have to add gas or the revs drop.

I've had it for a couple of days now, and the sweet spot is defineable and consistent. so hill starts are fine.

Cheers,

Malcolm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts