Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, im finnaly getting a new chip for my 98 1.8T , ive got roughly 94k Mi
on it, ive been looking at several different chips for it, but im not quite sure
which to get, i know the neuspeed one is cheap, but it doesnt seem like it
performs quite like the ASR one does, do any of you have these chips, and if
so could you give me some input into which of theses (or others) i should go
ahead and spend my hard earned money on...(easy job :wink: ) Thanks for any feedback,
and if any of you have some pictures of your grills, im looking into that too,
im sure some of you are dying for a chance to show off you shiny b5/b5.5s :D

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Wett is good, not too expensive....APR you can get different programs for for switching back to stock mode....Neuspeed is inexpensive...When in gets right down to it, they all kinda do the same thing. People here usually recommend Wett or APR.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Read the following link: http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=76237

My experience and recommendation: If you do not plan on upgrading to a K04 turbo and you desire an OEM-like smooth response, I would recommend an APR chip. I have run an APR 1.0 Bar ECU chip for over 40K. Its power response over the RPM spectrum is very smooth (no sudden spikes or drop offs), yet very strong. Chipped B5 owners that have ridden in my B5 were surprised at the performance and smooth power band, over their own vendor's chip (i.e. GIAC).
Downside, APR is expensive; however, I believe APR’s performance, warranty, and support is worth the cost if you are going to keep the car for more than two years. I purchased my APR chipped ECU through our own ClubB5's classified forum. I had it shipped via APR in Georgia. APR changed the chip setting from automatic to manual transmission and transferred the lifetime warranty into my name for $50.00.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.