Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking into buying a 1999 vow Passat from a private seller. They recently changed the carburetor on it. And now the car is reading it as a bad carburetor. They tried resetting it but no luck. What could be the problem? And how do you fix it. Tia

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m looking into buying a 1999 vow Passat from a private seller. They recently changed the carburetor on it. And now the car is reading it as a bad carburetor. They tried resetting it but no luck. What could be the problem? And how do you fix it. Tia
They clearly didn't change the flugal valve at the same time. Follow the hose from the carburetor to the dipstick. Disconnect it. Keep following the hose to the flugal valve. You'll have to look really hard to find it but you'll know it when you see it. Write down the part number and take it to your local VW dealership. Order a new flugal valve. Once installed the car won't start. Tow the car to the VW dealership and have them recode your DSM to zero. Only then should you reconnect the dipstick to carburetor hose. Re-adjust the float and choke and you should be good to go!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will look into it. Thank you very much for the information. If I end up getting the car I will update you on how it went. Thank you again.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,006 Posts
I think it might be the Turbo encabulator. They are a common failure. .

In all seriousness, VWs haven't had a carburetor since the 80's. Bob was just messing with you and my line above was a fun poke as well. They're fuel injected now.

This isn't the forum to ask for help. That would be the B5 forum. Moving this to that forum so you can continue the convo for more help, if needed.

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion
163 Posts
Think you figgered out that the other answers are pulling your leg as the PASSAT HAS NO CARBURETOR! So what precisely do you think is wrong with your car. Come with info and not just expectations and the users here can be pretty nice.

·
Registered
26,982 Posts
A new throttle body would need to be calibrated. Since the car has a throttle cable, it's best to find someone with the proper VCDS software to run the calibration. There are several people online who do this type of work for free or for beer. I do them for free for anyone nearby Dallas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts