Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to revamp my suspension in my 99 1.8. Need advisr on if u should replace the CA`s or if it will benefit just as much with new HD Bushings. Also im buying shocks, prob Bilstein Heavy Dutys. However im not planning on buying sprungs for another couple months atleast. Is this an issue? Should i just wait on shocks till i get new springs aswell or will they still hold theyre lifetime... and will the ride be affected with HD shocks with just the stock oem springs.? Need advise asap rdy to do these upgrades nowadays

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,000 Posts
The HDs are stiffer than stock. However, it will make the car handle MUCH better. If you do lower with them, it is not recommended you go lower than one inch. If you plan on going lower, get sports with the springs, not before.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
On a '99, I would replace the control arms rather than removing yours, installing new bushings, and reinstalling because the ball joints also wear out.

Billy HDs will improve handling, but many people find them less than comfortable. Not to dissuade you, as many also find the trade-off of improved handling worth the sacrifice in comfort. It just depends on what you are after.

If you keep your lowering to 1" or less (which is ideal for handling because of the suspension geometry), the HDs should still work fine. Lower than that and you should use the Sports.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,000 Posts
OE sportsd will be fine with the HDs.

Depends on who is doing the install. If DIY, you could go into it 3 times and replace bit by bit if you want.

If paying a shop, better to do all at once.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a '99, I would replace the control arms rather than removing yours, installing new bushings, and reinstalling because the ball joints also wear out.

Billy HDs will improve handling, buut many people find them less than comfortable. Not to dissuade you, as many also find the trade-off of improved handling worth the sacrifice in comfort. It just depends on what you are after.

If you keep your lowering to 1" or less (which is ideal for handling because of the suspension geometry), the HDs should still work fine. Lower than that and you should use the Sports.
I have heard that from a few people that the HDs were quite rough ride. Anyone have good experience with any other shocks besides the HDs. KYB GR2 perhaps.? Something with ride comfort but also upgrade in handling compared to the stock shocks.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
tomvw.. what components on the vehicle use these TTY bolts? Im unaware of this.would like to know more
Every time instructions say, "Torque to X lb/ft (or N/m) + Y degrees", it's a TTY bolt, and must be changed out instead of re-used.

Most people recommend you just do the whole control-arm, not just bushings, as the ball joints don't really have a longer life than the bushings. FCPEuro sells an inexpensive kit that a lot of members have had good luck with. (And it will come with all the fasteners you need.)

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,000 Posts
I have heard that from a few people that the HDs were quite rough ride. Anyone have good experience with any other shocks besides the HDs. KYB GR2 perhaps.? Something with ride comfort but also upgrade in handling compared to the stock shocks.
you can try koni yellows on full soft. If not lowering, bilstein touring is a good oe ride. Also can try Koni STR.T for non agressive lowered applications on a budget.

·
Registered
10,303 Posts
tomvw.. what components on the vehicle use these TTY bolts? Im unaware of this.would like to know more
sirwired, has already answered this question.

There are many TTY bolts used throughout the car, usually in critical places.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND REUSING TTY BOLTS, I wrote the article because I had noticed many people reusing and tightening them to original specification,
this is very dangerous. I can't stop people reusing them, so I thought it would be better if they tighten them to a more appropriate tension, although
they will never hold as well as new bolts whatever you do.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
I have Koni yellows on my B5 A4 and love them. They are paired with the factory sport springs and set 1/2 turn from soft up front and 1 turn in the rear. I do wish I went 1/2 turn more, but it's a pain in the a$$ to adjust them--they need to be removed completely.

Do NOT get KYBs. They will be fine for 5-10 k miles, then they will crap out on you.

MkIV guys reported the billy TCs as being a very poor damper. Maybe they are ok on the B5 platform, but I personally wouldn't bother.

My son has STR.Ts on his MkIV Jetta, and they ride really well, feeling a bit stiffer than stock but not as firm as the Koni yellows were on my MkIV GTi.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have Bilstein HD's on my 01 5.5. The ride was a bit stiff for the first 2 to 3k miles. I've had them now for the last 25k and I feel like the car feels like it did when it was new. I'm really happy with them. Car is not lowered.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Because a CA is low priced, does not mean its not good quality. I bought FCP lower CA's and on the rough roads in this country, they have held up just as well or even better than OE had them for about a year and they I tried URo as well with not so good results.

I have replaced bushings. If you got ball joints that are still as stiff as new, why bother to waste aluminium or shipping $$$? Buy some bushings and you can get a year or two riding as smooth as glass.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.