Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a Passat Wagon. I just test drove it today - it's great, the family's on-board, and I just need to pick out the options.

I know I want a 3.6L, but I'm not sure if I should get the 4Motion or not. I think I'd rather have the lighter car with better gas mileage, but if it really handles significantly better, I could be convinced.

Next decision is to get the Sport or Luxury package (#1). I'm tempted to go Luxury, but I'm looking for input. I couldn't find a Sport model at the dealer, so I don't know how the seats are in that. My currrent car (2003 Volvo V70) has pretty amazing seats, and I'm guessing they're closer to the Luxury ones.

Other than that, I'm thinking of the Granite Green with the Beige interior, and the DVD nav . . .

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
My vote would be for 4Motion over the DVD NAV, but where do you live?
In areas with snow, or heavy seasonal rain, 4Motion makes sense.
If you have rear seat passengers, for 350.00 get the rear side airbags.
I lived in SWFL, so I got 4Motion on my 2003 V6.
I'm in MN now, and upgraded to W8.
Good luck, and welcome to PassatWorld

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have kids, so I'm definitely getting the rear airbags. I hope those are available on most cars around here, and I'm assuming they are since it seems a small price to pay.

I live in Los Angeles, so the only reason to get the 4Motion part is for better handling and extra safety. I really don't need it for snow, and I'd rarely need it for rain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Los Angeles

Sounds like a beutiful car... I almost got the wagon myself but I'm 23 and still have years before I will need a wagon. Check out the Sport package! I would definately recommend the Sport package 2 over 4motion. I live in OC and figured that for the one month of rain we get a year, the tires(same as stock on the E350) and traction control would provide enough schtick. Maybe if I lived in Portland... The sport seats are, in my opinion, both more comfortable and more elegant. The Sport package also gives you brushed chrome dash(with the green and tan the wood grain prob looks ok), improved suspension(noticeable even to a novice like myself), better stereo(by 500 watts), and front and rear park assist(makes you feel expensive). Only knock on the Sport package isn't really a knock on VW but on our pathetically-obese nation. Anyone with wider hips will feel 'pinched' in the sport seats, so keep this in mind if you(or anyone that will drive with you often) happen(s) to fall into this group.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine is a 3.6 variant fwd with sports 2 and nav.

The current 4motion kicks in only when the front drive wheels start to lose traction, so in ordinary driving it provides nothing extra. Nearly all the time, even with 4mo, it's a front-wheel drive car. But that's fine; no perceptible torque steer until you push it really, really hard. In LA, the 4mo won't do much for you.

The sports seats provide additional lateral support -- the deciding factor for me.

And, as JohnKavlich said, you also get slightly stiffer suspension, which does improve handling.

The brushed aluminum interior trim is OK, though it picks up some glare from the sun. I'd rather have wood trim, but the sports seats and sports suspension make up for the aluminum.

Finally, the Nav is pretty good -- no match for the best available (Acura, imo) but not as bad as the worst.

Had there been a 4mo on the lot with sports 2 and nav in the right colors, I'd have bought it. But I'd rather have the seats, sports suspension, and nav.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really hate shiny interiors, especially since I live in a sunny place, so it looks like I'll end up with the Luxury package.

Is it really true that if I get DVD Nav that I can't get something for my iPod - not even a line-in?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
The current 4motion kicks in only when the front drive wheels start to lose traction, so in ordinary driving it provides nothing extra. Nearly all the time, even with 4mo, it's a front-wheel drive car. But that's fine; no perceptible torque steer until you push it really, really hard. In LA, the 4mo won't do much for you.
I test drive both the FWD and 4MO before buying my '06 4MO; IMO, there was a significant difference in "hard" acceleration performance and torque steer between these two versions of the 3.6. I bought the 4MO primarily for its poor weather handling capabilities but I would not discount the other advantages that AWD brings to this 280HP motor.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So my dealer wants $500 over invoice for this thing. Is that a reasonable deal?

Here's what I'm planning to get:

-Green 3.6 FWD Wagon
-Luxury #1 Package
-Rear Air Bags
-DVD Nav

Wish there was an iPod connector. Any other options to consider - or even out there at all, beyond the other Lux and Sport packages?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You won't even know 4mo is there until everyone around you is spinning tires and you're not.

You would have to pry my nav system from my cold, dead fingers to get it away from me. Garmin 2720.

In dash GPS's are unnecessarily expensive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know, I know - I almost bought a Garmin C320 for my currrent car, but decided to wait. It's way overpriced, but I figure I'm leasing, so I really only end up paying for maybe half of it, plus I hate having junk around on my dash. So they win, I get ripped off, and I know it. And I'm willing to pay for it, no less. Funny enough, tonight I had one of those times that prove how much I need it. Going some place I've never been, in the hills, at night, with a Google Map and my kids. My kids are still a bit too young to help. If I had taken my wife's car (MINI) I would have been fine - we forked over the cash for the nav in that one (same $2K).

The real good reason for portable nav is vacation . . .

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you don't want the sports seats, lux 1 is fine. And granite green is a really good VW color.

For me, some kind of nav is a must. I bought a Garmin for my previous car and like some things about its interface better than the VW OEM unit. But with OEM nav I don't have to remember to take it with me or to hide it every time I get out of the car. And it does do some things the Garmin doesn't. For example, you can customize which classes of POI icons display on the screen. On our first VW road trip, I found displaying the restaurant icons made travel days easier.

I also like the Dynaudio system and the bi-xenon lights but don't see either as essential.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I read that the radio with Nav doesn't do MP3 CDs and that you can't connect an iPod. Can either of those possibly be true?

·
Registered
897 Posts
They have the option of adding in an I-pod adaptor with the Nav, that's why they deleted the glove box light.

Maybe this might help.

http://www.vw.com/passatwagon/index.html

The Luxury Package no longer gives you a full wood dash, it now part wood and part aluminium but looks quite cool. The Sport Seats are great, but I don't care for the all aluminium trim, too much reflections. The 3.6 is amazing. Adaptive HIDs are excellent, I don't know why they deleted those nifty headlight washers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts