Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I searched threads but didn't see one like my issue. I may have missed it. Here's my issue... I have a 2004 Passat wagon 4motion. I replaced the front brake pads and rotors like I've done on many of my other cars before, however this time, the brakes were locked once I started the car and pumped the brakes with the new pads and rotors. If I put my foot under the brake pedal and lift up, the brakes will release enough for me to move the car but there is no way I'd try to drive it anywhere but as soon as I release the upwards pressure the brakes automatically apply. The system worked totally fine before the new pads and rotors were installed. :banghead: Is there something special I need to do for a VW? I'm probably just dumb and missed something. :lol:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Hello all,
I searched threads but didn't see one like my issue. I may have missed it. Here's my issue... I have a 2004 Passat wagon 4motion. I replaced the front brake pads and rotors like I've done on many of my other cars before, however this time, the brakes were locked once I started the car and pumped the brakes with the new pads and rotors. If I put my foot under the brake pedal and lift up, the brakes will release enough for me to move the car but there is no way I'd try to drive it anywhere but as soon as I release the upwards pressure the brakes automatically apply. The system worked totally fine before the new pads and rotors were installed. :banghead: Is there something special I need to do for a VW? I'm probably just dumb and missed something. :lol:
Dumb question here. Did you lube the guides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Not the guides; the pedal return spring. My $.02: Without the spring bringing the pedal all the way up, the brake booster is activated enough to apply the brakes. Chances are the brake lights are on too, check for that.

By the way DD, I pass Winchester road every evening. I sure hope you don't get in that backup!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ylwagon you’re right, the brake lights are on. I noticed that the other day. I’ll check and lube the spring.
I get off at Rancho so I miss the Winchester traffic. Luckily.

·
2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
23,713 Posts
If you haven't already fixed it, the pedal can get stuck behind the plastic shield of the knee bolster and not allow it to return.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Look at the kick panel around the pedal, that may be pushing the pedal down enough to cause your issue, happened to me during the summer

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
when you pushed the pistons back in to put the new pads in ,did you open the bleeders at the caliper or just backflush fluid back through the master cylinder/reservoir / also did you bleed the brakes ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts