Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My wife has a 2000 NB 2.0. It is getting to be that time where the spark plugs need replacing. Has anybody done this on a NB? I am having a difficult time finding out how to even get to them. It almost looks like I have to take off the intake manifold. Maybe I am just an idiot, I don't know.

Let me know if I really am an idiot :crazy: , or if this is something that I should take it to a mechanic for.

TIA,
Chris

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
atomicalex said:
There, you have two old farts trying to remember to look in books for parts their MkIVs don't have. ;)
How the hell do you lose that big of a book? Maybe all of the grease let it slip from my grasp...
or after THAT many timing belt changes, I don't need the stinking book!

Sorry, just can't find it.

Check over http://www.newbeetle.org

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
You need the special spark plug boot puller in order not to damage the plug wires.

Once off, you loosen the fuel rail, unplug the in-the-way injectors, and twist them in the manner required to give a straight shot to the plug.

Then you take the plugs out.

They have a special spark plug socket built onto a swivel extension that is ideal for this job, and can be bought at places like AutoZone for about $8. It is well worth the investment.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Sharky said:
You need the special spark plug boot puller in order not to damage the plug wires.

Once off, you loosen the fuel rail, unplug the in-the-way injectors, and twist them in the manner required to give a straight shot to the plug.

Then you take the plugs out.

They have a special spark plug socket built onto a swivel extension that is ideal for this job, and can be bought at places like AutoZone for about $8. It is well worth the investment.
Christ! By the time you're all done, I got a timing belt changed!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.