Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys:

I'm just bough my passat 2 months ago. so I conder myself as a new babie on the club. There are the following question that I hope someone can answer for me.

1, I hear to own a good passat is depend on your luck,and how long do I need to wait to see I own a good one(like a certain period)

2, My brother gf just bought a used 99 passat, and they change the transmittion fluid cost them almost 300 dollars. He told me he have to go to dealer to change cause require special tool. Is that ture? If I found other garage to do it, is it worth it?

3. I also been told that the brake pad on passat easy to wrap off. Now what the average life span for the brake pad.

4. There is the rumor about passat suspension. Especialy the lower control arm might damage when I hear a clip sound when I make turn is that ture. I hear the situation usually occur 40k. is that really ture.

5.I was thinking about change the air fliter by myself. is that anyone can help me for it.

6.The last question is, what the milage that I should do a full check.(check the brake fliud, brattery.) and is that a good idea bring it to a local garage to do it?

I hope these questions are not a challege for some people, thanks guys

tsli
:D thanks again

·
0 Posts
WHEW! i thought you were driving around with new babies on your hood! :lol: Welcome.

1, I hear to own a good passat is depend on your luck,and how long do I need to wait to see I own a good one(like a certain period)

It's like any other car if by a lemon you will have lemonade, you should have checked the service history and drive train before you bought it!

2, My brother gf just bought a used 99 passat, and they change the transmittion fluid cost them almost 300 dollars. He told me he have to go to dealer to change cause require special tool. Is that ture? If I found other garage to do it, is it worth it?

your brother got ripped, i pay nothing or if im feeling lazy i pay $59

3. I also been told that the brake pad on passat easy to wrap off. Now what the average life span for the brake pad.

It depends on you lead foot, it's not the lightest car but the brakes last an average amount of time when driven average.

4. There is the rumor about passat suspension. Especialy the lower control arm might damage when I hear a clip sound when I make turn is that ture. I hear the situation usually occur 40k. is that really ture.

Yes there can be issues with the control arms, this goes back to checking before buying if not check out this link. http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?searchstring=control+arm&searchqt=byvehicle&make=Volkswagen&model=Passat+B5&submodel=FWD&engine=1.8T5.

6.The last question is, what the milage that I should do a full check.(check the brake fliud, brattery.) and is that a good idea bring it to a local garage to do it?

You didn't list your mileage can't answer, that but at 100k check and change everything including the timing belt! or reap the whirlwind! :nervous:

-Steve o

1 - 4 of 4 Posts