Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Very nice! I had a 6400CD paired with the P7 DVD player and liked it a lot, but I switched to an Alpine C801 and 5200 because they stick out of the dash less. How do you like the AVIC-90DVD?

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
The Pioneer Navi can be used with any screen, but like an Alpine navi with an Alpine screen, it simplifies the install since you don't have to run a separate remote eye. Whenever I do a Navi install I always try to use matching screen and navi brands.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been very impressed with the AVIC-90 Nav unit. I have played with Alpine's and Kenwood's and neither of them had the functionality and usability of the Pioneer. The voice control is fantastic and makes entering data etc safer and easier.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
How does the AVIC-90 compare to the older Pioneer DVD NAV? I sold both but I couldn't stand the user interface of the Pioneer. I've alway liked the way Alpine nav units operated but I haven't had a chance to play with the AVIC-90 yet. I DOL like the display on the Pioneer better though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
quality_sound said:
How does the AVIC-90 compare to the older Pioneer DVD NAV? I sold both but I couldn't stand the user interface of the Pioneer. I've alway liked the way Alpine nav units operated but I haven't had a chance to play with the AVIC-90 yet. I DOL like the display on the Pioneer better though.
It seems like it's the old Coors vs. Bud debate - some like one, some like the other. My buddy (a pro car audio installer like yourself) has an Alpine Nav unit in his BMW but encouraged me to get the AVIC-90 - in fact, he's replacing the alpine unit with the AVIC-80 next week. I like both interfaces - I think the route calculation is faster and better on the Pioneer. Though I'm not sure when they will come out with a new Data DVD...my house isn't even on it ;)

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I think that's where Alpine still leads, is in the amount of data on the discs which is weird since I think they both get their discs from NavTech. Hmmm. I'm glad you like your system. Nothing really compares to having a good Nav system in your car. Once you convert, you never go back!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quality_sound said:
I think that's where Alpine still leads, is in the amount of data on the discs which is weird since I think they both get their discs from NavTech. Hmmm. I'm glad you like your system. Nothing really compares to having a good Nav system in your car. Once you convert, you never go back!

Actually, it's funny, in my old car, a Honda CRV, I had built a car pc in it (if anyone out there is considering it....don't; waaay more trouble than the initial "oooh, ahhh" is worth) and one of the only worthwhile features was the nav, even though it was buggy and not made for a car. I became dependent on it. When I bought my passat I had to go back to using mapquest etc, which I hated. I LOVE having nav in my car, you're right, going from having to not having drove me nuts!! :)

Here's a pic of my old car's install

The specs were:
10.4" touchscreen monitor, Pentium III 1.2ghz processor, 256mb RAM, DVD-ROM, GPS Navigation, MP3 Audio, Soundblaster Extigy 5.1 soundcard, 802.11b wireless LAN, Griffin Powermate controller, XM Satellite Radio and a Kicker Amplifier.

The interior was designed and created by Ames Audio of Livermore, CA, one of Northern California's premier car audio installers. They took the ordinary Honda CRV dashboard, remounted the Air conditioning controls, flushed in a 10.4" touchscreen monitor, flushed in a DVD-ROM complete with all it's controls, built a custom audio control panel, but at the same time, retained the Honda look and feel, as though the unit came right out of the Honda factory.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
quality_sound said:
Ames Audio? I don't think I've seen any of their work before. It looks great judging by the pics of your CRV though. :thumbup:

Yeah they're a high end installer based in the bay area. They do world class work and have some fairly high profile clients.

They have some of their work online at their site http://www.amesaudio.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
euphoriaelec
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing