Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1.8 Variant - very sweet rig. I haven't heard much talk about getting the factory oil out of the car early like I would have expected. Just curious if anyone has any concerns about break-in materials in the oil, and doing the first oil change relatively early.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Welcome to the club!

Follow the recommended break in instructions found in your owner's manual. There is no magic break-in oil found in your Variant. There is also a chart in there that explains the oil requirements for your car once you reach that first oil change.

Mobil1, Catrsol Synthetic (Made in Germany), Pentosil, and Lubro Moly are popular brands here. Synthetic is recommended for your 1.8t by the majority here. There are millions of threads on oil that the Search function may (or may not) bring back for you to read.

Autobahnfluids.com sells the Pentosin and Lubro Moly oil along with other OEM fluids unique to Volkswagens. (read: Power Steering Fluid, Brake Fluid, etc.) Do not use off the shelf Power Steering fluid when you top it off.

Enjoy your new car! 8)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome.

I was just curious if anyone was in a hurry to get some of the break-in metal shaving changed out any earlier than 5K. Seems like a pretty common practice with many other vehicles. Maybe it isn't as big a deal with these fine crafted German rigs :lol: .

·
Registered
168 Posts
i got my glx in feb 03. love it for some miner issues :)

did my first oil change at 4500miles just under the 5k brake in oil....

:)

Ganx14
2003 glx v6 30v

·
Registered
1,415 Posts

Talked with a VW engineer and he says changing it before that interval can lead to problems with seals and leaking later on in the engine life. I figure no one knows better than the engineers themselves, and it is also what the manual says.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I did mine just about 5000mi (actually it was 4900 but that was just b/c of convenience). I have the v6 and I put in Mobil1 0W-40 Synthetic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
15 Participants
gig103
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing