Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got my Black 2001.5 Passat GLS 1.8T with about 41,000 miles about 2 weeks ago. The car is great and I love it! I have been reading many threads and love this board. A lot of useful tips and informations!

I have a few questions that I want to be answered:

I only received 1 master key remote and no others keys with the car, and I was wondering if you recommend that I get the secondary key remote and valet key from the dealer or should I get it from eBay? I also don't have that key card that VW says in the manual is required for dealers to obtain addition keys. I have read the threads regarding this but I don't know what to do and need some advice.

Another thing I would like to know is what is the biggest tires/rims I should get with the stock suspension/shocks/springs? I am thinking 18"s but I would like to know other peoples opinions.

One last thing does anybody know of a place near the Linden, NJ area that I can buy a chip from and get it installed and also does other installations like a grille and lowering?

Sorry If I ask too much (I used search but I still am so-so on the answers).

Thanks a lot,

Pippen

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
Alright ill help you out,
1. Keys i would buy a remote from ebay then the actualy key piece from the dealer and have them cut it, not sure if you need the card or if they can do if form the key you have. Definately buy remotes on ebay they are like $20MAX where as the dealer will charge like $250.
2. BIGGEST is a strong word. We have had people run 20's. So that is the BIGGEST. The most common is either 17, 18, 19. Personaly i like 18's the best, but that is just me.
3. Sorry dont know anyone in that area, im sure somone else will help you out with thoose.
HTH

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Pippen, First I would like to Welcome you to Club :b5:. :drink:

Now as for the question regarding additional keys Rollininstyle2004 answered the first question as well as giving you an idea for the second one. Don't get me wrong their are plenty of NJ members rolling on 19"s. But being that you do live in the Garden State you might want to consider 17"s or 18"s and keeping your factory rims as winter wheels. (Just my $.02)

Question three: As for chipping it might be best if you sent your CPU out to GIAC. Via overnight mail this process normally takes three days one to ship second to get chipped/send back, and the third is for delivery. There are plenty of other chip tuners out their but as you will notice most members go with these guys.

Being you live in Jersey the best person to have do your suspension would be fellow member B5Bel(This is his profile) Bel is a VW tech with East Coast Volkswagen and by far the man when it comes to suspensions. Just send him a PM once your ready to have your baby dropped. Otherwise another possibility would be to checkout Bergen Imports I believe their located in Cliffside Park.

Larry

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

I run 18's on lowered suspension and have no problems...as far as a chip is concerned, I have a Wetterauer 1.0 bar and couldn't be happier. Like many other things everyone has different opinions on what is good and what is not. It depends on what YOU want.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Keys, keys, keys... I also got only one when bought my 2001 from a dealer. Two weeks later I got a call from dealership saying they cut two more keys for me free of charge, even though I've never asked for it. Nice folks.

I guess, if you bought it from a dealer, I'd call them and ask about additional keys.
Calling never hurts! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, sometimes in my car the temperature display starts blinking with a snow flake logo and then makes a few beeping noises...any one know why that happens?

Another thing is that my car is only getting 14-15 mpg at the most and I am running 93 octane...Anything I can do to see if there is anything wrong?

Thanks..

·
Registered
381 Posts
pippen said:
Also, sometimes in my car the temperature display starts blinking with a snow flake logo and then makes a few beeping noises...any one know why that happens?

Another thing is that my car is only getting 14-15 mpg at the most and I am running 93 octane...Anything I can do to see if there is anything wrong?

Thanks..
The snowflake and audible chime is a frost warning. I believe it will appear at temps between 39 and 20 degrees F.

Is your car a V6? That mileage seems pretty bad, especially for a broken-in car with over 40k miles. My brand new W8 is getting 23 MPG at highway speeds. Since gas mileage depends on so many things, you might consider having a garage do an analysis.. in the meantime, look for easy things like tire pressure being okay. Are you driving city or hwy?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nope I got the 1.8T engine with tip. I am driving in both city and highway...I drive to school every weekday and it requires going on a highway and city as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Get on a nice flat hwy after the engine is warmed up. Reset the MPG display and drive for a few miles. You should be getting the high 20's to 30 with the 1.8T. Are the numbers you are getting calculated by filling up the tank vs milage or the onboard computer? Also try keeping the turbo out of boost during normal driving can help. The throtte responce took me some getting used to comming from my 2.0L Jetta.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wow :shock: that's pretty crummy mileage for a 4-banger. Take 3dubber's advice.. road trip. Also, check computer MPG vs. calculated based on fill-ups. If your mileage is really that low you might have a problem or two.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3dubber said:
Are the numbers you are getting calculated by filling up the tank vs milage or the onboard computer?
The numbers are calculated by the onboard computer, but I also calculated it by hand it's relatively correct.

3dubber said:
Also try keeping the turbo out of boost during normal driving can help. The throtte responce took me some getting used to comming from my 2.0L Jetta.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how would I keep the turbo out of boost?

Beavis said:
If your mileage is really that low you might have a problem or two.
I think it is really that low...any more suggestions?

·
Registered
322 Posts
See what the MPG is on the hwy at a steady 60 mph or so. I pull over 30 mpg with relaitive ease (5spd). I get in this weather (cold) on my 11 mile trip to work about 24mpg half hwy, half local. If it's still low it's got to be some engine problem or check to be sure that a brake caliper is not dragging (see if any wheels are hot after a drive).
If you stomp on the gas and keep the revs high while it up shifts, the turbo will be a spinning, you should also hear it, a very sweet sound!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is hovering steady at 14.9 mpg. The wheels also aren't hot after a drive. So you think I should take it to a garage?

I am very puzzled about what the problem could be..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd take a look at the airfilter and the pre-screen. Both on my were filled with dirt. After changing the filter and cleaning the screen I saw significant improvement in the gas mileage, from 14-16 to 23, city drive. Also, when switching from lower to higher octane gas some say they saw a drop in MPG. It may take some time for ECU to adopt to the new gas if previous owner was putting 87. I don't really believe in this but thought I'd mention it. :wink:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
sneg said:
I'd take a look at the airfilter and the pre-screen. Both on my were filled with dirt. After changing the filter and cleaning the screen I saw significant improvement in the gas mileage, from 14-16 to 23, city drive. Also, when switching from lower to higher octane gas some say they saw a drop in MPG. It may take some time for ECU to adopt to the new gas if previous owner was putting 87. I don't really believe in this but thought I'd mention it. :wink:
Definitely check the air filter - at 40k its due for a change probably - should have been done once already. I'd swap it for a K & N filter btw.

·
Registered
322 Posts
14 mpg on the hwy?? that's half what it should get. The computer calculates the mpg based on the fuel injector squirts (I think) If that matches the numbers you get by filling the tank and dividing by the miles driven the gas had got to be going into the engine.
The air filter housing pre screen is a good start. At 40k it's due for a major service. Did it have it before you got it? That's plugs, all filters. Any service records?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
14 MPG is very low on a broken in car. I have a 1.8T with 8K miles on it and I hover around 30 with highway driving and 23 on city driving and 23-25 when I'm on the turbo a lot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
11 Participants
3dubber
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing