Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys n' gals. Barely a week ago my Honda got totaled in a hit-and-run accident in the parking lot at my job and because it's considered "private property" I couldn't file a police report. Since I didn't have collision on the car, I pooled all the money I had, found a buyer for the Honda and began hunting for a car. I looked at 240's, e46's, other civics, etc. Then a friend of mine suggested Volkswagen. What the hell, why not? And wham, first on the list on autotrader was this beauty. Went down for a test drive and I was completely sold.

75k miles, 1.8T, GLS, 4DR, 1 owner (female). No service records on the car from 35k-70k miles which worried me a bit but examining the cars condition I could tell the car was very well taken care of. Non-smoker, seats aren't creased, no rust. A few knicks and chips here and there on the paint but other than that body is flawless. Car was daily driven in Brooklyn, NY which means there is probably a little bit more wear and tear on the timing belt and clutch from all the stop-n-go.

Car is optioned to the teeth. Monsoon sound system, leather, sunroof, etc. I went and sat in my Honda after driving my Passat for a couple days and I thought, "how the hell did I tolerate driving this vehicle..?" Car is quick for what I am used to. Really enjoy the generous amounts of torque in the lower RPM's, and not having to downshift to make it up hills and passing on the highway. Turbo spools up nice. Also love the limited slip transmission, car shifts like a dream. I do forsee a JHM short shifter in it's future, however. What's sad is I only paid $1500 more for this than I did for my Honda. (Picked this car up for $6500, Honda was $5000).

As far as mods the car is stock, but I did just install a double din navigation unit. A GIAC tune, timing belt, underdrive pulley, water pump, thermostat, K&N drop in filter and a high-flow cat are also in it's future. Also looking at the 17" Passat rims that came off of later models (part#69749), and pairing them Bridgestone Pole Position all-seasons with a set of Koni shocks and H&R's. Also looking forward to cool creature comforts like the 1 tap 3 click blinker, keyfob window control flash, etc.

I must say though it's depressing going from being able to swap transmissions and motors to not even having the correct tool to take the damn wheel off (silly torx) but it's all a learning process I guess...You Germans really do stuff differently.

Anyway enough with the blabbing... Pictures! (Sorry for the crap quality, Windows Phone camera isn't all its cracked up to be) Oh and yes, I definitely put collision on this car. And it's actually cheaper to fully cover this car ($90/month) then to cover my Honda without collision ($102/month without collision).

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
One owner female did some cool mods before you. I don't think the black leather seat and door card inserts were factory options with the sand interior.

Welcome to the family. Sanity not required. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice clean ride Zef. You won't be disappointed with your new ride. Took me 10 years to get back into a VW. I too totaled a 2000 Honda Accord before coming back home.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One owner female did some cool mods before you. I don't think the black leather seat and door card inserts were factory options with the sand interior.

Welcome to the family. Sanity not required. ;)
Thanks, lol. I have gotten a lot of compliments on the interior and I am honestly not sure if it was factory either. Looks great though, no complaints.

that double din looks factory, lookin to do the same myself
Crutchfield's Double Din insert fit totally flush; it's an absolute must have if you ever go double din.

Nice clean ride Zef. You won't be disappointed with your new ride. Took me 10 years to get back into a VW. I too totaled a 2000 Honda Accord before coming back home.
Thanks! I admit I am still in the "honeymoon" phase of owning my car, but my goodness it's awesome haha. I am taking it back to college tomorrow (~300 miles) and with the new car + stereo I am absolutely psyched.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts