Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the factory head unit with the 2006 CDA-9856. WOW! I had no idea that the factory unit sucked so bad. The Alpine unit makes the factory speakers sound like Boston Pro's. I will be changing them out with my Old school ADS 3 way comps soon, but for the time being I am very happy.

The antenna converter has a blue wire on it. Where does that go? Power ant?

Thanks
Chuck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
soo

I just hook that Blue wire up to the power ant lead from the harness?

Because I did that, and I am getting a weaker signal than I did with the factory unit.

Chuck

·
My intake has Emphysema
7,712 Posts
That has to go to a switchable power. When I put in my Kenwood, I tapped it into my acc power lead that I spliced into the switchable power behind my tach.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Yes, the blue wire from the antenna adapter goes to the power antenna lead coming from the Alpine. If you have it connected to the power antenna lead in the car side of the harness you need to connect it to the Alpine. Also, aftermarket units WILL have LESS range than your OEM. OEM focuses on range. Aftermarket goes for better sound quality and sacrifices some range.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sooo

How do I get more range? Is there a better antenna I can use? Maybe retrofiting a domestic antenna that dosen't have the external wire.

chuck

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
VW uses the same atenna in all of it's cars worldwide. The antenna adapter needs power because the OEM HU supplies power to it as well. It's not an issue with the car, it's the radio. EVERY aftermarket radio sacrifices some range for better fidelity. Nothing you can do about it. I knwo, I've tried. In urban areas you won't notice anyway. Hell, I even shortened my antenna and it's fine until the last few miles of a transmitters range.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Paul;

How are you? I understood that the antennae needs power because VW went with a short, bent antennae for looks. Best reception is had with a straight, long antennae, like the power one that shoots straight up out of my dad's old pontiac when you turn the radio on.

Also, my 9815 has far superior reception than the factory radio ever had, with or without the IC on.

....and my sat radio beats them both :)

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
maxxx said:
Paul;

How are you? I understood that the antennae needs power because VW went with a short, bent antennae for looks. Best reception is had with a straight, long antennae, like the power one that shoots straight up out of my dad's old pontiac when you turn the radio on.

Also, my 9815 has far superior reception than the factory radio ever had, with or without the IC on.

....and my sat radio beats them both :)
Actually the best antenna is a basic mast. Power antennas are good too but a non-moving mast like on an S-10 for example works best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chuck,

I just got that same hu and I had the same problem. I believe there is a setting for local (meaning it won't pick up stations further away). I believe that is default. There are three different settings. You probably don't want lo. I was surprised by how good the reception was after I changed this setting. Look it up in your manual. Good Luck!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Do any of you guys have a website with those specific products? I don't feel like paying someone else to do that shit. If someone gives me that link I can post pictures on how to install this stereo.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was hoping you guys would have picked that up on telepathy, but I was referring to a VW to Alpine harness pre-made...

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
there isn't one. you connect the Alpine harness to a 3rd party harness that plugs into the car. I've posted the part numbers more times than I can count so do a search for "Metra wiring harness" and you'll find the info for the harness and the antenna adapter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts