Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting and waiting and now the Alpine 9835 has been bumped another few weeks (or more) :cry:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/ look for CDA-9835
but I looked at the Clarion 845 :thumbup:
http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/index.php?mod=details&category=proaudio&product=DXZ845MC#
and 745 :thumbup:
http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/index.php?mod=details&category=proaudio&product=DXZ745MP
and they are well made, metal face, sound good and here in Canada,
both less expensive than the Alpine.
***RETAIL PRICES***
9835 is 550US and 850CDN
845 is 599US and 649CDN
745 is 499US and 479CDN !!!!
Clarion loves canadians more than americans heheheh... :heart: :heart:

any thoughts on Clarion units? on these specific units?
thanks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
They are supposed to be very good units, as the Alpine 9835. The UK crowd has gone absolutely mad on these 2 units, especially with the MINI guys due to the sound quality, price and the fact that they adapt quite well to the multi function steering wheel on the MINI. I don't think you would go wrong with either, just make sure that you are happy with it.... :)

Cheers
Ram

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, due to my insane connections in the car audio world, (I worked for Phoenix Gold as a technical rep) I scored the Clarion 745 for $330 CDN !!! ($250US) :D

It's not as bright sounding as the Alpine units but it's damn good, matches the interior beautifully (can choose from 728 colors) and the trim and face don't look out of place in the car.

Time to pull out all my old Boston Acoustic stuff and do a major install! :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK took some pics (not great but.....)

with flash:

night shot with color match to dash red::

I matched the blue in the guages too but down where the radio is it looks lousy.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Don't know exactly how it compares, but I am really happy with my clarion. I have the 545 i believe (i am not too fond of the whole flip down face thing). I too was looking at alpine vs clarion. The deciding factor for me though was (I know that this is going to sound gay, not that there is anything wrong with that) Clarion was set up for Sirius and Alpine was set up for XM. When I do go satellite I plan on going with Sirius.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did u instal yourself?

Hey. Did u instal the deck yourself. Good choice, looks awesome.

I'm looking at replacing deck, but curious as to what u did to instal if u had Monsoon? Let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well at least the trim matches the car correctly. There's no high-end unit I've found that doesn't stick out and I won't buy a base model 1-rca output just to get 4mm more recessed.

It's true the photo makes it look worse than it is, I had installed a Sony 850 and a Sony 80 before these and they were much worse AND had ugly chromie trim.

I installed it myself using the harness adapter, all of 15 minutes, but It's not a monsoon system.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Re: Did u instal yourself?

carmine said:
Hey. Did u instal the deck yourself. Good choice, looks awesome.

I'm looking at replacing deck, but curious as to what u did to instal if u had Monsoon? Let me know. Thanks.
I do have a monsoon and am told that the inputs on the external amp are high level inputs so you would just hook it up like you would any other installation.

Thad. :shock:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Wagenmeister - Have you looked at any of the Alpine units? How about Eclipse? The Alpine's sits about 1/4mm above the dash at one point since it curves. Most of the trim ring is level or below the dash. The Eclipse units actually sit a little farther back than the OEM unit all the way around. Just throwing out some options.

Darth - You are correct, the Monsoon amp wants a high level input so a new HU gets wired the same way as a non-Monsoon system.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Paul, eclipse are tough to find in these parts (I was aware that they would do the job)

I've been waiting for the 9835 alpine to come out but it's release keeps getting bumped so in the meantime I'll make do with the Clarion. The Alpines don't stick out quite as much but I need the black with variable lighting like the new 9833 and 9835 even though as you mentioned part sits inset and part sits outset of the dash.

Got 2 Audio Control EQTs, an Epicenter and an ESP-3 and a ton of Boston Acoustic speakers and Phoenix Gold stuff that I dug out of my closet just begging to be installed :wink:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
WagenMeister said:
Got 2 Audio Control EQTs, an Epicenter and an ESP-3 and a ton of Boston Acoustic speakers and Phoenix Gold stuff that I dug out of my closet just begging to be installed :wink:

Jealous........But when I get the rest of my ID stuff it'll be all good. Now if I could just decide on some amps.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
quality_sound
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing