Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1995 240SX w/ 143,000 miles today, for $4000. Great body, a few paint scratches here and there, and in dire need of a suspension job. Motor mounts are also a bit crappy, so I'm gonna have to replace 'em soon. Clutch engages at the very tippy top, and its solid as a rock...so I might opt for a more OEM-feeling clutch. But otherwise, its a great running car (knock on wood). Good, honest, original owner, who changed oil every 3k w/ synthethic, using Fram X2 filters...so I figured if he was gonna spend $10 a pop on oil filters every 3 months, he's gotta have some sort of good sense. New exhaust less than 6 months ago, full stainless catback exhaust, with a new header. I'll post a few pics later. :)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Sweet deal. High mileage, but 240SX's are probably pretty reliable, plus it sounds like you found a good 1st owner. :thumbup:

oh, btw, PICS!!!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks to julianfang for hosting the pics!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kiyoshi said:
Sweet deal. High mileage, but 240SX's are probably pretty reliable, plus it sounds like you found a good 1st owner. :thumbup:

oh, btw, PICS!!!
Yeah. He bought the car in 2000 with 40k miles on it. Car came from Dallas, TX, so it was pretty rust free. And in 3 years and a couple months, he put 100k miles on it. :shock: So I figure, all highway miles, it should still be pretty"usable". :)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Wow, you got a S14! $4k for the car you bought is def a good deal. I would jump on it. What plans do you have? Lol, the at least the susp will give you an excuse to get new parts! My miata needed a new alignments, and I ended up buying Konis, GC's, a rollbar and wheels. :p

For your car, it prob would be a good time to change the bushings too. Might as well. :)

Have fun, and keep us updated!

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a group buy on coilovers on NICO right now (Nissan/Inifiniti Car Owners) for $700 shipped, so I might jump on that. Koni yellows and springs would probably run that much in itself. Hopefully they're not tooooo ghetto. :wink:

9 kg/mm front springs, 7 kg/mm rear, and I might get a spare set of 5 kg/mm so I don't rattle my fillings out (oh wait, I don't have any :lol: ) when I decide to daily drive it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Hmm..what shocks is this GB using? I really like Koni's myself with the lifetime warrantee and usual reliability, revalving services etc. I recently joined a GB on honda-tech w/ titanmotorsports.com for a special on Koni yellows and Ground Control coilovers (ordered 350f/250r spring rates, which I think is good for street and occasional autoX use) for $820 shipped. The deal was initially only for Hondas, but they honoured my application when I asked if I could get the deal with my Miata. I think they also offered custom spring rates, but I'm not sure. Just another option to consider.

Man, you should really be saving up for the RB turbo swap though! Nissan builds some grt turbo motors, that can be had for pretty reasonable prices! :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not too sure. Here's the link:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=51083

Its ending, like NOW, so jump in if you wish (oh wait, I think they only have applications for your CRX...I didn't see any Miata). I think I'm gonna drop $800 total, with camber plates, infinitely adjustable shocks (6.5 turns for the full spectrum), and the extra set of springs. They *look* like an inverted monotube...but I don't know crap about shocks. :p

Sounds ghetto, eh? I thought so too, but from what I've read, these are at cost ($50 for a pair of springs :shock: ).

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pics (stolen from my buddy):

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
Never heard of 'em before. For that price it's hard to go wrong though. Those are definitely not inverted monotubes based on that picture, shaft isn't big enough. At that price I'd have to assume they're twin-tube, but I couldn't find that info on the website for them. They are probably two-way height adjustable which is nice unless that second lock-ring is faux.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
julian: I think I'm still gonna be running 15x8's though. :)

Now....to find a cheap set of 15x8's... :crazy:

Jacob: Just you wait till I steal my friend's exhaust manifold... :p I think his last dyno showed 230 rwhp. But then again...I think I'll stay NA this year so I can go play with all the kids in the street tire auto-x class.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not bad..

S14's are fun cars... you just gotta wring out all its little faults and what nots.

I currently have a S14 KA-T in my stable as well..... its pretty awesome.

Suspension, 300ZX brakes, Turbo, LSD, RWD, and 293whp... pretty fun. :)

Good luck on yours.. any questions about the cars.. drop me a PM.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More pics:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts