Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new accessory belt tensioner, the old one was toast, but now I can hear the belt slipping. This only happens when the engine idles and I blip the gas pedal and when accellerating from a stop (1st gear). It gets worse when the front wheels are not standing straight.

Is it normal for a new tensioner to do this i.e. does it needs some time to settle? Thanks, Arjen

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
you probably glazed the inside of the belt.

you can try either belt dressing (spray), or if that doesn't work
maybe try replacing the belt.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
sorry i couldn't respond sooner as i lost electricity for a day
from a storm we're having.

i usually use NAPA brand. but i'm pretty sure that is
a US brand item only. not that it matters much, i'd suggest
you find one of reputable brand.

you could also have gotten dirt or grease on the belt.
try washing the belt and pulleys in comes in contact with
with dish soap and warm water.

HTH

·
Registered
28,344 Posts
Are you sure you tightened the P/S belt? The pulley can pinch the belt and seem tight until it is rotated.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ I'm going to check that first, it looks like something is holding the belt. I had my wife blip the throttle at idle while I was looking at the tensioner. The part of the belt between crank pulley, tensioner and alternater vibrates hence the sounds of the tensioner.

I already checked the belt and its free of grease/dirt. I'm going to check out some EU brands for the conditioner anyway.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Good call PZ.Yeah that PS pulley design is a work of uhm... art.

I hope it's not a bad pulley/tensioner.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
after i did my power stering pump, and put everything together my belt was slipping everytime i was turning the wheele. went po autozone and i think stp makes the belt dressing spray. used it a few times and slipping went away, and no squeeking. cost only $3.

i got some of oil and power stering fluid on the belt and puley. i think that was enough to make the belt slip.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't told you that I have a underdrive pulley installed but I never had any squeeks before. The shorter belts are from Gates and googling learned that this brand sqeeks much more that the oem Conti's.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just diagnosed the accessory belt being the culprit, I removed the a/c belt but the squeeks were still there. I used some belt spray on the accessory belt and the squeeks were gone.

I've read the ribs from Gates belts differ from oem Conti's because Gates isn't allowed to (some patent) copy the design. An insider mentioned the ribs lack enough depth and only touches the edges of the profile of the pulley's.

Thanks all for your input :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Wow it pays to stick with the Conti's I guess! Glad the belt dressing
worked out. Will you be purchasing the Conti or just use the belt
dressing then? ;)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a smaller crank pulley and have to use smaller A/C and accessory belts. I'll replace both soon with Conti's (if available).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts