Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2000 Passat 1.8T ATW gives 33mpg on highway at 314,000 km, original engine and transmission.

Can't agree on this one. As the car and thus its mechanical/tranny ages the wear and tear accumulates resulting in sub-optimal performance compared to a new engine. As you might have noticed the older your car gets it consumes more oil.

If you have seen a Passat that is about 20 years old and still gives 35 MPG on highway let me know (I am excluding the cases where a new engine and lots of parts ave been installed).

·
Registered
2000 VW Passat GLS
13 Posts
I'm pushing the forum rules; not much of a Passat B5 subject I know, but with our old '99 1.8T wagon still in limbo, I'll pass on early impressions of the economy of a B9 A5 Sportback. Rated at 34 highway, with not even 1,000 miles it was easily beating that on my commute.

I am getting between 35 and 39 MPG HWY on my 2000 Passat with 59,000 miles on it, and managing about 22 - 24.5 city, depending on traffic
View attachment 99076 View attachment 99077

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm pushing the forum rules; not much of a Passat B5 subject I know, but with our old '99 1.8T wagon still in limbo, I'll pass on early impressions of the economy of a B9 A5 Sportback. Rated at 34 highway, with Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin not even 1,000 miles it was easily beating that on my commute.
Emry, miles accumulated on the odo should have no effect on a maintained car's mpg. Something else must be amiss to account for your mpg drop.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,563 Posts
Emry, miles accumulated on the odo should have no effect on a maintained car's mpg. Something else must be amiss to account for your mpg drop.
It all depends on the word "maintained". If we are saying here that an engine that is 20 years old or more with 300K miles on it is working as efficient as a new engine then I have difficulty to believe it.
But if one says that most of the internal parts and components of the engine are replaced with new ones then sure it's quite possible. Remember that we are referring to mechanical parts here that wear and tear as they age.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Anticipating traffic and not driving aggressively should allow you do do much better than EPA numbers so I'm not that surprised. Agree with the comments made but one additional difference between newer and older VAG cars is the fuel injection. The older ones have the lower pressure in the inlet manifolds. Newer engines all have high pressure direct fuel injection, which was done mainly for fuel economy and emissions, I believe.

Also, I have a 2017 GTI with similar engine (2.0T) and my displayed fuel economy is a little optimistic. When I measure my fill ups, there is a pretty big difference. My 2002 GLS used to be spot on with the display.

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
Mine have been fairly accurate, maybe .5 mpg high on the Tiguan and Passat. I always calculate every fillup.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Anticipating traffic and not driving aggressively should allow you do do much better than EPA numbers so I'm not that surprised...Also, I have a 2017 GTI with similar engine (2.0T) and my displayed fuel economy is a little optimistic. When I measure my fill ups, there is a pretty big difference. My 2002 GLS used to be spot on with the display.
Don't know if I mentioned, but I've done my 45-mile commute a couple of times and had a trip average of just over 40 MPG. Yes, I was trying to see how high I could get, so was driving within the speed limit, and trying to maintain a constant light throttle. But I was skeptical because the stated MPG for this car is 34-highway. So I ran the tank down pretty low (15 miles remaining! on the display) then filled and compared my miles covered/gallons used, and came up with a little over 33 MPG. The long term trip computer says close to the same thing, averaged since the car was new. The correlation was within a couple percent I think.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Don't know if I mentioned, but I've done my 45-mile commute a couple of times and had a trip average of just over 40 MPG. Yes, I was trying to see how high I could get, so was driving within the speed limit, and trying to maintain a constant light throttle. But I was skeptical because the stated MPG for this car is 34-highway. So I ran the tank down pretty low (15 miles remaining! on the display) then filled and compared my miles covered/gallons used, and came up with a little over 33 MPG. The long term trip computer says close to the same thing, averaged since the car was new. The correlation was within a couple percent I think.
That's impressive. Maybe I should be trading in my GTI for an A5. Love their design. Audi makes some of the coolest designed cars on the road.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,432 Posts
I have always been able to squeeze just over 30mpg highway on our 2001 Passat wagon (1st gen. 1.8T, 5-speed automatic, front drive), but I can easily hit or exceed 40mpg on our 2016 Golf Sportwagen (3rd gen. 1.8T, 6-speed automatic, front drive).

My 2-year-old grandson swears his dad can get better mileage in his B6 A4 1.8T Quattro, 5-speed manual. He is offering driving lessons. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
He looks right at home with that shifter, and will probably be the only one in high school that can drive a manual trans!

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
But Corona is about 100 miles away from Fallbrook.
If feels like 100 miles sometimes, like when the AC compressor was bad on my A4 and it was 116 degrees a couple of summers ago! But door-to-door is just over 45.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts