Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
So, there is a sticker in my car that says CPK , so I assume it is a CPKA (non California) car. How could I see what kind and weight of oil they put into these engines at build. Would that be in Mexico or Chattanooga??

·
Registered
250 Posts
So, there is a sticker in my car that says CPK , so I assume it is a CPKA (non California) car. How could I see what kind and weight of oil they put into these engines at build. Would that be in Mexico or Chattanooga??
All Passats from 2011 and on are built in Tennessee. At build, I'm not sure how to find that out, but it should be a 5/40 synthetic.

Just because the car had a facelift doesn't necessarily mean that the motor had work done to it. The engine codes are the same, so they didn't change anything apparently.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think the 1.8 TSI motors for NA are made in Mexico, but I'm not sure.
Absolutely right! I just pulled out the window sticker from my 2014 B7, and it confirms that the engine (a 1.8 TSI) was indeed built in Mexico.
The tranny was made in Japan. That's kind of ironic, really - a German car manufacturer designs an auto for the American market, but puts a Japanese transmission into the thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Absolutely right! I just pulled out the window sticker from my 2014 B7, and it confirms that the engine (a 1.8 TSI) was indeed built in Mexico.
The tranny was made in Japan. That's kind of ironic, really - a German car manufacturer designs an auto for the American market, but puts a Japanese transmission into the thing.
I think the ATM is built by JATCO. It might be one of the smarter things VW did...having a Japanese company with huge experience with automatics make the unit.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well, my car runs well, with no problems in shifting. I do feel a slight lurch as it upshifts from first to second, but that feels the same as in other cars I've owned with auto trans. It just lets me know it's going to a higher gear, but not so abruptly that I have to take it to the shop for adjustment. I've actually experienced more jolts or "lurching" from the car's throttle...it's a bit stiffer than other cars I've owned. I've overcome that problem by learning how to gently push the gas pedal down as I accelerate...and that takes time and practice when you're getting used to driving another car. I remember my B5.5 had a stiff gas pedal, too, when I first bought it. I soon got used to it, though. Just like I'm getting used to the pedal in my B7.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Now have 12K miles on the Passat. Changed the oil at 5K and had the dealer change it at 10K. They noted that they did a software upgrade for the blind spot monitor. The only issue I had was one of the rear windows when put up in auto was automatically retracting and needed to be adjusted. The car gets tremendous mileage - I am putting mid grade in and the <average> fuel consumption is 31 mpg. On a few trips, I got over 40 mpg. I never had a vehicle that got this kind of mileage especially with the performance it also has. So far so good.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
they sure do. there is also a side light that comes on when making sharp turns below 30 mph - very nice

·
Registered
11 Posts
I picked up a 2017 TSI SE/Tech to replace my 2013 TDI SE/Nav. I'm digging the new toys inside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well it's now 3 years and 70,000 miles later and no issues at all - taking it in tomorrow for 70,000 mile service.

·
Registered
351 Posts
That's awesome. My 06 passat was getting the random issue per week that Passat seem to get when they die. It was a bit expensive but I just got a 2017 SE tech edition w/ the 2 yr CPO + 5 year warranty platinum. This 3 year 70k no issue makes me seem like this was the right decision when the last car was always having something wrong. I hope to follow your pattern.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

21 - 39 of 39 Posts