Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 1.8T, GLS, auto with leather (standard features the rest of the way). $24,850 with the 1.9% APR quoted from the dealer...having hard time getting them to go any lower. They will go $23,850 if I get my own financing, but will cost me more in the end. Any new purchasers have advice as to if this price is a good one? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Get a 5-spd instead of auto and save a few hundred $. :wink:
Sorry, can't really comment on the price, mine is '03. Sounds just a bit high if it's a sedan but I heard that the dealers are not giving huge breaks on the '04s.

·
Registered
167 Posts
chpwaman said:
2004 1.8T, GLS, auto with leather (standard features the rest of the way). $24,850 with the 1.9% APR quoted from the dealer...having hard time getting them to go any lower. They will go $23,850 if I get my own financing, but will cost me more in the end. quote]

Is that amount an "out the door" price? If $24.8 is an out the door price, it is a pretty good deal. If it is not, then it is sort of a high price.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
that price is way too high....

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72837

there is a $2000 dealer cash (private finance) or $1000 dealer cash (0.9 or 1.9 VW credit) and $500 consumer cash

$24909 invoice + dest
+ $500

$25409 highest price to pay
-$1500 rebates *and* 1.9%

= $23,909 your price, Dealer is still making a lot of money

Edmunds says people are paying $500 *below* invoice, so that is

$24909
-$500
= $24509
-$1500

= ~$23k

This is ~$4k off of sticker and should be your goal with the 1.9%

see my post above, this dealer is finding another $1k somewhere, my guess is they are advertising the price for your own financing.

And FWIW I used a similar ad from this dealer and that is what I paid, it's not a scam.

Don't overpay!!! Come to MA and buy one and drive it back before you get ripped. Or go to Chicago, they are another large/cheap car market.
Hell you could even ship it and come out ahead!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, $26,000 and some change out-the-door. MSRP for the car is $26,400 and invoice is $24,600...they tell me. The roadblock is the 1.9% APR, they seem to feel that $24,850 is a great price when coupled with the APR. I do know the $23,850 price they quoted me if I use my own financing...is within a couple of hundred dollars of the best price I can find on the internet. Still waiting for some other quotes to get the bidding wars going.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
chpwaman said:
No, $26,000 and some change out-the-door. MSRP for the car is $26,400 and invoice is $24,600...they tell me. The roadblock is the 1.9% APR, they seem to feel that $24,850 is a great price when coupled with the APR. I do know the $23,850 price they quoted me if I use my own financing...is within a couple of hundred dollars of the best price I can find on the internet. Still waiting for some other quotes to get the bidding wars going.
see above they need to do better!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info. My target price has been just under $24,000 with 1.9% all along...and as I suspected, figured they should be able to go that low. Just waiting on some other quotes, so hopefully it will not be a problem to get near this price with a little leverage. Or, I just might be driving to Chicago.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
shoot for $23k with 1.9%.....you saw the sales figures post, right? :poke:

"You can do it!"

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72870

- Try dealing with the internet sales manger, send them the link.

BTW: Quirk has 359 2004 Passats in stock!

- Try contacting Liberty VW and get a "clubb5" quote.

·
Registered
237 Posts
shoot for $23k with 1.9%.....you saw the sales figures post, right?
Exactly. When they try to combine price with financing, they are full of crap. "if you get your own financing, we'll give it to you cheaper". Bull. If they can make it cheaper with other financing, they can make it cheaper with their financing!!! Don't let them screw you over. Do your negotiating over the phone or fax them some numbers. Then they can't pull their harrassmant crap. That's what I did and they called me back with the price I wanted!!! They're lucky to get my business!!

Jonathan

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
First of all they make money if you finance through them. So I dont know why they would send you elsewhere :crazy:
You should also buy the Manual not the auto the auto sucks IMO dont get it you will be sorry. The Manual will also make the car much faster.
Anyway on to price.........Go to edmonds.com or autobytel.com and price it out for what you want. I would not pay more then invoice at this time because VW sales are in the toilet right now. I paid $200 over invoice awhile ago using autobytel.com for a no haggle smooth and pleasent transaction!
Also Im not sure what the rebates or dealer cash are at this time but take that off the price of the invoice too.
VW sales are in the dumps so you have the upper hand!
Use autobytel or edmonds and forget that dealer!
Good luck :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Wife bought an 04 for 23,500 or something like that in Nov of this past year. Same config you were looking at + mudflaps. Didn't have to hassle them at all. I just said this is what I want and I'll give you this for it. Done. I don't think it was a GREAT or out of the ordinary price, but it was reasonable for both the dealer and me.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
chpwaman-

I've recently been through buying and think you could do better at this point in time.

After lurking here through a few months of oil and chip discussions, I ordered an 04 GLS Variant (leather, esp, 4Motion, 5 speed, mud flaps) on Jan 2. It came in last Saturday :D at a price of 26936, which was right at invoice including the destination and unavoidable massachusetts emissions/port fee extortion (the mass tax and reg were 1453 on top of that).

The edmunds prices when I ordered were $500 over invoice; they're now several hundred BELOW invoice. You might do better by FAXing a few dealers in your area (see fightingchance.com), though it can eat a few hours of your time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey everyone, thanks for all the info. I spent a little more time online today with another dealer in my area (Detroit) and was able to get a price $1,000 less than the first dealer quote. Now I have some leverage to work with, in the end I should end up with a pretty darn good deal...$23,850 and counting down, down, down. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
scotty_passat said:
How does this work, do I just need to contact Tim at Liberty? We're thinking of getting a Passat next month and I put Liberty at the top of my list of dealers to deal with. What is this clubb5 quote?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Isn't VW offering .09% APR on B5.5s? I purchased mine last year with 1.9%. As mentioned, do the internet search and Edmunds will provide you average sale price as sold in your zip code. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
chpwaman said:
Hey everyone, thanks for all the info. I spent a little more time online today with another dealer in my area (Detroit) and was able to get a price $1,000 less than the first dealer quote. Now I have some leverage to work with, in the end I should end up with a pretty darn good deal...$23,850 and counting down, down, down. Thanks again.
i just bought in the detroit area at bill cook this week. i got a gl with premium sound for 19,900.... i think you can go lower than 23,850...maybe five hundred to a thousand less

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
haunted reality said:
scotty_passat said:
How does this work, do I just need to contact Tim at Liberty? We're thinking of getting a Passat next month and I put Liberty at the top of my list of dealers to deal with. What is this clubb5 quote?
Liberty provides great discounts on parts to the clubb5 community and is "mod friendly" :bow: ...and I "assume" will give you a nice deal on a new car.

Contact Tim, tell him you are a member, and say "gimme a great deal!" :)

he is user "blownaway" here on the forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, Tim is also Blownaway on the Vortex too, didn't know he was the same on here. I went to their GTG in January and it was nice, they let us roam around their service bays while they were closed on Sunday. I also saw his Passat in the showroom and it was very nice. Our plan is to look at them first. I'm hoping to be able to try next month, the wife really wants a Wagon now, so that's probably what we'll go for. I'm guessing the same incentives will be good next month since VW's sales are still in the tank.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
haunted reality
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing