Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just picked up a '98 variant with 45K miles and thought I'd run my thoughts by everyone and see if I'm missing anything.

Things I plan on doing in the near future:
- Auto-Rx treatment (no service records, don't what it has been running in the past)
- full syn oil and big filter (I've seen references to the big filter but I haven't been able to find the actual part number/ brand that is being used, any help?)
- timing belt and tensioner (check on water pump at same time)

That's all I have in mind right now, if I missed anything glaring let me know.

I have a few more technical questions but I'll get them in the appropriate locations soon.

Thanks in advance and I am excited to enter into the Passat world.

Cheers:beer:

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
hi and welcome to b5 club. that is some low mileage 98 you go there :) you can find big 1.8t oil filter from parts stores like www.ecstuning.com or www.getcoolparts.com for fairly cheap. also i would just replace waterpump at the same time while you are doing the whole timing belt job. waterpump itsself is not expensive but the labor is pricy. also you can pick up those parts at the online stores i mention earlier. enjoy your b5

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
ARX is highly regarded around here. I've yet to do it myself but actually plan on doing it on my next change at 60K.

Purolator L40316 is the rebranded Mann filter that is commonly referred to as The Big Kahuna or The Big German or more often as "The Mannolator" -- you can get them at Pep Boys from what I hear (don't have one around me) or special order them through Advance AP. I'm sure you can also get them online in various places.

What synthetic do you plan on using?

Timing belt & pumps are typically is around 60k for your model year. Depending on where you get it done, it'll run around $700-$1000 for a full service.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the resopnse guys.

I think I saw a thread somewhere here that gave VW approved syn oils. Mobil 1 0w-40 was on there so I was going to go that route. Here is a link to that approved oil list. http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/service_maint/oilchart.pdf

Luckily I can do all the labor myself (with the help of some excellent how-to write-ups from this site, of course) so all I will need are parts.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
you can also use the wix 51333 or napa 1333 (maybe the #'s are switched), but they can be bought at napa, or www.rockauto.com.

if you want to go oem, vw offers a slightly larger filter for the later passat...i think it was 04 or 05.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts