Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that it saves your fuel filter. Is this true? Any other possible benefits to not letting your gas go below half?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Never quite heard that before ... I've heard it shouldn't consistantly get into the red, but 1/2 a tank? A bit extreme. Any experts wanna weigh in?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Can't say about the fuel filter benefit, but I don't let the tank go below half, especially in the winter, because an empty tank allows greater room for condensation to develop, possibly leading to rust. It was probably valid years ago, when tanks and fuel system components were primarily metal.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I would say there is some benefit because if you've ever seen what a gas tank looks like inside when its removed u'd never run out of gas again. There is all sorts of crap at the bottom of the tank that you would suck up but most likely only if u ran out completely and not as much so as just running it down some.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All... sorts... of... crap?! I had no idea gas tanks had significant amounts of debris or sediment at the bottom. :nervous:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yea probably at least 40-50K on a car a lot of sediment etc. and things from the gasoline itself piles at the bottom of a gas tank which is a main reason there is a fuel filter in the first place.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
yeah, the lower the gas level the more crap from gas is sucked into the fule filter causing that to get clogged quicker which will lead to the fuel pump workin harder so in the long run it will save the fuel pump too

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, yes I see now, said the blind man to his deaf son. Seriously though, that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
The fuel is used to disperse the heat generated by the fuel pump. Running the tank really low regularly is said to shorten the life of the pump. In the winter, it is possible for condensation to build in the tank/fuel lines and cause freezing. More sediment kicked up and sucked into the fuel filter. (Basically everything that has been said) ;)

I say no lower then 1/4 tank. I try remember that but some weeks are more hectic then others.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
I've heard that the in-tank fuel pump is a submerged pump that 'utilizes' the fuel in your tank to keep itself cool and running the tank till it's on fumes will cause the pump to run hot and fail prematurely.

However, I have a hard time seeing how I want to use highly volatile FUEL as a liquid to cool anything that gets even remotely hot. :crazy:

I know that traditionally if you let your tank run dry, you run the risk of damaging your fuel pump if there is no liquid to move while it's running.

·
Registered
26,001 Posts
Yes it does cool and lubricate the pump. No it will not change the sediment getting
sucked up. The pick up tube is at the bottom of the tank.

Yes, I still run mine down to E.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I change my fuel filter at 90K and it wasn't that bad as far as gunk goes. and I'm guilty of letting my fuel light go off occasionally.

as long as you don't let yourself run out of gas, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
in my old car i never had it go above half way

fuel = weight

weight = less mpg

so ironicly having less fuel saves fuel

but thats was when i didnt drive alot to work and back now i fill at the ding

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I never heard of that being a benefit for the fuel filter, but like Harrisburgjoe said, it is a benefit in winter for less condensation and possible water in your fuel. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
RAH
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing