Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend I'm going out to my first autocross event ever. I've been driving for a long time, only on twisty roads not parking lots. I'm confident in my driving skills, but what I'm not confident in is my ability to follow the cone pattern. This may seem silly, but I've watched a lot of videos and it looks really easy to get lost and go the wrong way. Am I worrying about nothing? Like I said, I've never done this so is it a lot easier than it looks? I'm sure I'll have a blast and I can't wait to post up some good times and surprise some folks! But I'm just looking for some pointers I guess:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
What are you worried about? Embarrassment? They're just cones. It's very low risk. Just go out and have fun!

Autocrossing isn't really my bag (doesn't interest me) so I can't offer any significant tips other than be smooth and have fun. Driving around a bunch of cones isn't hard. However, doing it quickly and smoothly enough to beat someone else's time is a bit more challenging. Don't worry about be fastest your first time out - because you won't be. Like everything, your skills will improve with practice. If the organizers allow it, take a ride with a more experienced driver to get some perspective.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
No, it's not easier than it looks. It is a lot of fun though!!!!
You should take an instructor with you for your first few runs and make sure you pay attention to the novice walk through of the course. You should concern yourself with navigating the course correctly before you worry about going fast.
I've been doing this a few years and I've won a few times this year (in my :b5: :lol: ) and I STILL take instructors out to help me.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, it's not easier than it looks. It is a lot of fun though!!!!
You should take an instructor with you for your first few runs and make sure you pay attention to the novice walk through of the course. You should concern yourself with navigating the course correctly before you worry about going fast.
I've been doing this a few years and I've won a few times this year (in my :b5: :lol: ) and I STILL take instructors out to help me.
That is what I'm worried about. I know hitting cones aint a big deal and my only goal is to not post the slowest time of the day, but I just want to make sure I stay on course!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Watch the other cars run the course. When you go out on your first run dont worry about time, just try to get through the course without missing anything. You'll get faster each time.

Good luck.:D

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm a little less nervous now. I'm really excited to see how well I do by the end of the day.

·
Registered
453 Posts
good luck, it was A TON of fun when i went. i also took out my sub before i went and left it at home, if you have one, you might consider doing the same. where are you going to do it? infineon?

edit: and following the course isnt hard at all. when i went the course was pretty simple, but if there is a part where someone could get confused about which side to go around a cone, they lay a few cones on their side to tell the driver to drive around the other side of the cone. here is a picture

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
#1, empty everything out.
#2, pump up your tires, at least 40psi, if you still get road marks on the sidewall, add more air.
#3, walk the course til you have it memorized.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Have fun and take some pics.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
i was told that you need a roll cage to take place in the autox. can someone help clear that up.
You do not for the stock and street prepared classes(full interior, bolt on mods only), not sure about the rest.
AutoX courses are supposed to be setup for the fastest car to be under 70mph on the fastes part of the track.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i was told that you need a roll cage to take place in the autox. can someone help clear that up.
um i don't even think scca has that as a restriction for autox... but if you take it for any type of wheel to wheel action such as road racing then almost assuredly you would need it. (or rally)

as pointed out just above... autox is a low speed event which is timed...

perhaps you were told about something different then just a plain jane autox event.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
um i don't even think scca has that as a restriction for autox... but if you take it for any type of wheel to wheel action such as road racing then almost assuredly you would need it. (or rally)

as pointed out just above... autox is a low speed event which is timed...

perhaps you were told about something different then just a plain jane autox event.
No roll cage required for non-convertibles at any Porsche/BMW track day(road course).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think roll protection is only required in convertible cars on race tires (R comps ect). I could be wrong but I do remember coming across something like that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts