Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving the other day with my friend and he always would put the car into neutral at stops. i thought it was pretty weird because it was automatic. i didnt thinking there was a difference. my question is, what are the pros/cons to putting the car into neutral while at stop lights. does it save gas? also, do you have to brake before putting it to neutral or can you put it into neutral at 60 mph and just let it glide?

·
Banned
742 Posts
Your friend just wants to be cool and pretend he is driving a stick shift. You might save like 1 ounce of gas that way and probably hurt the tranny for it going in and out of gear all the time. Autos are made to be driving en drive not be taken out and put back it,He is probably putting alot of wear and tear on the tranny.

·
Registered
159 Posts
u have to take your feet of the gas if you shift from D to N at 60mph or else your rpm will go up.

as for N at stoplights or D... it'll be interesting to see the opinions of folks here

·
Registered
191 Posts
i will say this, you will glide alot longer if it is in neutral (such as when u see a red light ahead) but i think the gains are minimal while the risks can by quite costly.

·
Registered
159 Posts
personally, i do not think it is a good idea to shift an automatic transmission to N at stoplights. that'll wear the transmission more than the gas u'll save... but that's just me

·
Registered
221 Posts
You'd lose engine braking and maybe brake booster pressure (I think?)

I shift into N if someone is behind me once I'm stopped if I know it's going to be a long wait, since I'm lazy.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There is added wear on the transmission when shifting between PRND, wear that does not happen once you are set in gear.

As for saving fuel? Good luck on that unless you are getting towed. Do like the europeans do and cut the car off at every light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts