Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2002 Passat GLS Wagon, and I am looking to help the ride out. What is the best way to go without suffering too much in the comfort department. I am riding on stock 15" wheels right now, but will have 19" wheels within the next two to three months.

·
Registered
125 Posts
go with the 1.5" drop definatley. the rides gonna be a lot rougher anyway with some 19's. i have h&r springs that drop about 1.5". i've got 18x9's in rear and 18x8's in front. so more rubber = softer ride. forget the 19's, get some deep-dish 18's and the ride will be much nicer!!!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
go with the 1.5" drop definatley. the rides gonna be a lot rougher anyway with some 19's.
why does everyone ALWAYS say this. it's simply not true. your tire pressures will affect the ride more than the size of the tire sidewall height. i have 19s and Neuspeed Sports with Bilstein Sports and it rides better than stock.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I dont know how long its been since youve used a stock ride......but I have 17's and my ride is a fair amount worse

Then again, my car is damn low

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I have an 2002 Passat GLS Wagon, and I am looking to help the ride out. What is the best way to go without suffering too much in the comfort department. I am riding on stock 15" wheels right now, but will have 19" wheels within the next two to three months.
The Neuspeed SofSport and Sport actually have the same spring rate and stiffness. There's nothing softer about SofSport, it's a misnomer.
In my opinion if you're getting 19's then you'll want to drop it at least 1.25" or it'll still look jacked up. So if you're definitely getting one of these two springs, get the Sport. They're still pretty comfortable. I didn't tell my parents when I changed the stock suspension, and when I drove them around they didn't even notice. That's not to say there's hardly a difference. There IS a big difference, but they didn't notice it because I was driving slowly and conservatively.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I dont know how long its been since youve used a stock ride......but I have 17's and my ride is a fair amount worse

Then again, my car is damn low
It hasn't been that long since I've been in a stock Passat so I still have a reference point and like I said, tire pressures will make a bigger difference. BTW, I'm also kinda low.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
after everything settled, it was a lil shy of 1.5"... but def more than 1"

paul, i'm running 33-35psi all around on sofsports and 17s and it's damn harsh. but then again, that could be due to the neuspeed rear sway.

·
Registered
773 Posts
can anyone please post pics of their 0.75 or 1.5" drop?? I am currently sitting on 17's and i cant decide which to get...i dont want to end up getting the 0.75 and the car looking like it hasnt even been dropped..basically i want little wheel gap beetween the tire and the fender...so again, pics please:biglaugh:

PS...here is my car, so opinions on what to go with are welcome

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/p12de98ee49e2f43edd36e6eb263e7f86/ee5de8e9.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid208/pc91614e5e2fc75d03ec49d4870e1c59a/ee5de79f.jpg

·
Registered
773 Posts
they should have the same overall diameter from one end of the tire to another, right?? i think 225-45-17 and 235-40-18 should be same...correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
773 Posts
looks like just what im looking for, assuming the tire radius on your stock 15's is the same as 225-45-17... do u experience any rubbing issues?? anything scraping the road while driving?? did you have to get any spacers to move the wheels further out??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts