Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there's a problem running the sof sports with the stock shocks? Have an 04 1.8t so the shocks are mighty fresh. Need them to last at least 4 years till the lease is up.

Any experiences? Thanks

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
nope, I am doing it as we speak. Its a bit bouncy if you compare to sportier dampers or coilovers, but not so much that you should really worry.

Do a search, this has been posted and you will probably find a TON of opinions on this one. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I posted the same question last week. If the stock shocks were on stock springs they should last at least 80K miles, but if you go SofSport which lower the car 0.8-1", they probably go downhill after about 4 years or 50K.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
gnosis said:
I posted the same question last week. If the stock shocks were on stock springs they should last at least 80K miles, but if you go SofSport which lower the car 0.8-1", they probably go downhill after about 4 years or 50K.
I have heard this arguement several times... dunno if its true, but I cannot imagine how they will wear any faster than on stock springs. They are a pretty simple piston travelling through fluid. Changing the ride height changes the length and location of the travel, but I cant see how that increases the wear... in fact, since they slide less (travel is reduced when the car is lower (?)), you might make an arguement they last longer. :lol:

can anyone tell me why this theory exists and how it is justified?

TIA!!!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Just want to add that I agree that it's not fact and I have no experience with aftermarket shocks yet. I was just repeating what someone else told me last week. It's all hearsay!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
gnosis said:
Just want to add that I agree that it's not fact and I have no experience with aftermarket shocks yet. I was just repeating what someone else told me last week. It's all hearsay!
i didnt mean to come off as arguementitive, sorry if I did... just hoping someone can give reason for this "rumor."

:)

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
j said:
gnosis said:
I have heard this arguement several times... dunno if its true, but I cannot imagine how they will wear any faster than on stock springs. They are a pretty simple piston travelling through fluid. Changing the ride height changes the length and location of the travel, but I cant see how that increases the wear... in fact, since they slide less (travel is reduced when the car is lower (?)), you might make an arguement they last longer. :lol:

can anyone tell me why this theory exists and how it is justified?

TIA!!!
For shocks, more compression = more pressure. Lowering springs will compress the shocks. I see what you're saying with the travelling less thing, but the higher internal pressure inside the shock will have more of an effect on wear and tear than the distance the piston travels.

Stock shocks will work with lowering springs. But the lower you go, the shorter the life will be for the shocks. Aftermarket shocks were designed with lowering springs in mind, so they are made with higher tolerances, and therefore, more expensive. But I would think the same correlation between ride height and pressure would apply to them too and they would wear out faster on a slammed rides than ones that are mildly lowered.

·
Registered
716 Posts
chewy said:
Anyone know if there's a problem running the sof sports with the stock shocks? Have an 04 1.8t so the shocks are mighty fresh. Need them to last at least 4 years till the lease is up.

Any experiences? Thanks
I believe member schrajw is running that set up. You might try PM'ing him for additional insight.

Good luck

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have Neuspeed Sofsprings with stock shocks for about 17K miles and still no problems have a total of 53K miles on my stock shocks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had the Neuspeeds and stock shocks for 40K miles and according to the tire guy when I bought new tires last week, the shocks are fine. Total miles on the stock shocks is 62K

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have no first-hand experience with this, but I've read many times on the forums that you will wear out your shocks with aftermarket lowering springs. Most people try to replace both of them at the same time in order to prevent any unexpected wear & tear on the suspension.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts