Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Moderator, maybe you could put this after the DIY of the Neuspeed rear sway bar, this details my problem and solution to install stubborn brackets.

So i am installing the Neuspeed rear sway bar on my 1999 B5 Passat Wagon. Parts kit looks great. Instructions, well, average.

My problem is I can't get the holes to line-up on the bracket and backing plates which clamp to the OEM axle beam, therefore I cannot get the bolts into the holes.. The C-clamp idea detailed in the DIY did not work.

After talking with a very nice Neuspeed Tech, there are no variances between car/wagon, I thought there might be a parts difference and I had the wrong one. So I was stuck trying various options and of course the simplest one worked best.

I jacked the front of the bracket "up" with a small hydro jack, the part that has the lip, which raised and pushed the bracket into a higher position, resulting in more metal to pull down into position on the other side, toward the rear of the car and the backing plate holes. Next, I took the backing plate and a vice grip and positioned the backing plate to the proper location, clamping it snug to the bracket but not to tight, and then you notice the holes are 1/2 hole off, I could not get the bolt into the hole.

Now the secret ingredient, using a 9 inch long drift punch and hammer, I "compelled" the drift punch into the hole from the rear of the vehicle, pulling down on the drift punch while tapping into place resulting in the bracket moving further into position. While the holes still were not perfect, I was able to "thread" the bolt in with a socket wrench, resulting in the bolt actually "threading" itself into the hole. Once through, I installed the other bolt in much the same fashion, then tightened the nuts. You will have to loosen and tighten the vice grip to give you the slip and locking force required for each sequence.

The rest of the install was easy.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
I used vice grips instead of a c clamp with good results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts