Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just installed one onto my stock suspension b5. It on the softest setting and all i can say is wow. I honestly wasnt expecting any difference at all. I mean what could a 28mm bar with those mounting points do that at piece of high carbon steal couldn't. The difference is so unreal. the response is so much more immediate, and to those that don't know what improved response feels like, there really is no way to describe it. Under steer is all but gone (40psi front tires, 30psi back tires) I'm thinking about trying to put it in medium or hard position just to see what feels best to me, but i don't think i could come within 30 feet of my car and not have the urge to carve up some twisty roads. Truly amazing stuff right here.

I've got my eye scanning through the classifieds for a c-bar or a-bar or a cheep upper strut bar. but for now ill be happy auto-xing with this!!!

other mods:
mbc @ 12psi
710n
coam
mid resonator removed

and of course the rear sway bar

/thank you PW for providing info on this excellent mod

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yep, next to the chip, the rear sway bar has got to be the best mod I ever did.

I have a beat up A-bar that I removed because of my lowered suspension - PM me if you are intrested (and don't intend to lower your ride) ...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
answer to 2
it's the lowest part of the car when installed and has a tendency to hit things when the car is lowered

i may be intrested, the pics in the link are dead. Also you mentioned it was bent, are we talking about to the point that it can no longer be installed, or is it just alittle banged up.

and the final question, will it fit a b5 variant 1.8t tip

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Do I smell another diy coming on? I think so...

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I see a lot of these types of threads about sway bars but I am a little lost...

What exactly does the sway bar and all these other bars "do" ? (forgive my ignorance)

Would you feel any change to a fully stock, tiptronic, B5.5?

How difficult are they to install?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
answer to 2
it's the lowest part of the car when installed and has a tendency to hit things when the car is lowered

i may be intrested, the pics in the link are dead. Also you mentioned it was bent, are we talking about to the point that it can no longer be installed, or is it just alittle banged up.

and the final question, will it fit a b5 variant 1.8t tip
The mountings were bent, not the bar itself, thought the bar is somewhat banged up cosmetically. If you are interested, I can take some dig pics and email it to you - PM me at your convenience. Yes, mine's a Tip so it should fit your B5 (as opposednot a B5.5 right) with a Tip.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Be very careful exploring the cars limits through high speed turns!
Please elaborate. Is snap oversteer really that much of an issue at that point? Is it difficult to recover from?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I see a lot of these types of threads about sway bars but I am a little lost...

What exactly does the sway bar and all these other bars "do" ? (forgive my ignorance)
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question432.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/car-suspension.htm

Would you feel any change to a fully stock, tiptronic, B5.5?
yes.

How difficult are they to install?
FWD: some require drilling two or four holes in the rear axle, others just clamp/bolt in place around the rear axle.

4MO: not sure -- I think there is a stock bar that can be swapped out.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Please elaborate. Is snap oversteer really that much of an issue at that point? Is it difficult to recover from?
Once the rear breaks free, all you can do is get on the gas and point the front tires in the direction you want the car to go. either the fronts will "hook up" and pull the rears back in line, or you're going to spin out. Of course, braking is a really bad idea when the rear is sliding sideways.

·
Registered
444 Posts
IMHO, as long as you don't lift during the turn, it shouldn't be a problem. Just remember one rule: Slow in - Fast out. I never had a front wheel drive car oversteer while on the throttle through the turn

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
in that case I have to work out a few bad habbits first.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
And then there's the Heretic solution, where you take ALL the bars off, including the front.

Not recommended on factory suspension, 'cause the body roll would probably be way too much.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts