Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know many of you recommend APR but since I cannot afford $500 for a chip, what would be better Neuspeed 1.0bar or Wett 1.0bar.
The Neuspeed is only $199 for 30-35 wheel hp increase, where the Wett is $295 for 40 bhp increase?

What are your opinions about these two chips. Anyone can compare?

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Last I checked, Neuspeed flashes your existing chip, whereas Wett replaces your chip with a socket and gives you back your stock chip. Some people claim that the socket is another possible point of failure, and I concede the fact that it's probably not as good as a good solder connection. Nevertheless, if the chip were to cause problems, or an outright failure, having the ability to pop your stock chip back in could mean the difference between getting back on the road in short order versus tow trucks, expense, long delays, etc.

I'd say go for the socket.

Kenny

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What year is your car? If you have a DBC the Neuspeed chip will be 199.00 but if have a DBW the chip will be 299. I don't have the pricing for Wetteruar. If you have the earlier AEB engine, from all the Testing and comparison that european car magazine did when the chips became available for the 1.8T they concluded that all the chip made about the same HP give or take a few ponies. Some chipe will have different profile for the hp and torgue curves so check out the dynographs for the particular chip and engine code it is for and let that be you guide. I will say this neuspeed has decent customer service and so does APR.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Well any one of the chips you like will do the job. APR DBC chip will run about 299 or 399 IIRC. I have a Neuspeed I bar and they also recommend that you get the upgraded FPR that is an additional 80 dollar and if you get the denso IK20 that is anotther 45.OO but the additional items are up to you. From research that I have not with a I bar chip the AEB can only produce a maximum or 200 with no other modifications and all the chip vendor will tell you that there chips are good for 200hp. When it comes to the DBW cars I think there may be a difference as far as the way they program throttle response and other timing. In that case one tuner may have a better product than another one but not for the AEB. I do know that neuspeed usually tunes on the conservative side for longevity so if your car has high mileage and you don't know its previous maintainance history all that well maybe the neuspeed is your best choice. It is up to you more that likely you're a winner with either chip. But if nuespeed reflashes the chip you will have an edge since you won't have to worry if the socket or the chip was soldered correctly.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Neuspeed gets allot of bad press here - and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I've had the Neuspeed 1.0 Bar Chip for over a year now - and have had no issues or problems.

They did not flash my existing chip - they handed it back to me in an envelope.

I have not tried any other chips - or any other cars with other chips, so I cannot compare, or offer an opinion.

I have a '99 1.8T 5 speed AEB Engine - and the performance increase has been a real pleasure

Good luck with whatever chip you choose - whichever it is, you will have trouble getting that smile off your face

Bill

·
Registered
325 Posts
Budget reasons may force me to go the Neuspeed way. Anybody out there ran the Neuspeed and then changed out care to comment on the performance difference?

BTW, I have a 98 1.8T, AEB.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
One of the original B5 member here (since it became fashionable.. 8) )

I've had my 99 B5 1.8t wagon since March of 99. Chipped since 5k- and car now has 132,000k + miles. At 60k, i've had Neuspeed upgrade from .08bar to 1.0 bar VBL. To this day, my car provides the oomph i need when WOT. But on normal driving conditions- it acts like a 'stock'.
We have a stock 2001.5 b5 v6 GLX- and we (me and partner) drives
each car in alternating fashion- Although the GLX has a nice brawny power delivery - we both agree that the 1.8t chipped provides better 'overtaking' acceleration- and also better fuel mileage.

My opinion is that if you're looking for bad-ass performance- Neuspeed maybe too tame for you. However, for occassional freeway "frolic" and better than stock acceleration, AND budget!- then Neuspeed is for you!!

Good Luck

e

·
Registered
364 Posts
My car has the AEB 1.8T with the 5 speed manual gearbox. I have driven the car with both the Oettinger and GIAC chip fitted. From what I was told by the dealers in Australia, the Oettinger chip has a slight edge over the Wetterauer chip (but that might be said to justify the higher price tag). When I was pricing chips, the Oettinger was AU$1950 and the Wetterauer was AU$1450, so you are lucky that you can get a Wetterauer chip for US$295.

GIAC arrived in Australia after I had purchased a chip but one of the GIAC dealers kindly lent me one of their chips for testing. The price for the "high boost" GIAC chip I tested was AU$1500 (at a special introductory price) and it drove very differently to the Oettinger chip on the road. It used more boost on less throttle and I found it difficult to drive the car smoothly. This gave the car a more agressive feel which was something that I wasn't looking for (I know this may sound strange to some people).

Unfortunately Neuspeed don't sell their chips in Australia, so I can't give you any feedback on their product.

I was willing to spend an extra AU$500 for what I believed was a better product. If you feel that Wetterauer is worth the extra US$100, then buy it. If you can't justify the difference in price, go for the Neuspeed.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
my 03 b5.5 has been chipped since 5K and i have 46k(i know that's lot of driving) right now and i have never had problem with the WETT chip.....

i don't know how it compares to APR or GIAC but i love how my car drives....

p.s. this thing got mad torque...... :lol:

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have experience with both Wett 1.0 bar and .8 bar and a GIAC 1 bar. Out of the 3 I love my GIAC 1 bar the best. Wett is just too close to stock plus I had issues with it not being able to adapt to my car very well. I have 99 1.8T Tip AEB. The Wett programing for some reason never really worked well with my throttle body. The GIAC adpated completely after only 3 days of driving. I thought about being budget minded but you know in the long run, you may spend more money to get it to where you want. The best thing is to be patient and save your money to get the products/brands that you want.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i'm going with revotechnik software, much more affordable>>>>625$+tax!!and its a DPP

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tiptronic said:
One of the original B5 member here (since it became fashionable.. 8) )

I've had my 99 B5 1.8t wagon since March of 99. Chipped since 5k- and car now has 132,000k + miles. At 60k, i've had Neuspeed upgrade from .08bar to 1.0 bar VBL. To this day, my car provides the oomph i need when WOT. But on normal driving conditions- it acts like a 'stock'.
We have a stock 2001.5 b5 v6 GLX- and we (me and partner) drives
each car in alternating fashion- Although the GLX has a nice brawny power delivery - we both agree that the 1.8t chipped provides better 'overtaking' acceleration- and also better fuel mileage.

My opinion is that if you're looking for bad-ass performance- Neuspeed maybe too tame for you. However, for occassional freeway "frolic" and better than stock acceleration, AND budget!- then Neuspeed is for you!!

Good Luck

e
Good to see you're still going strong, you too Kenny... :bow: I've had the VBL chip and loved it, but then again I love old B5's too! :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.