Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...
Does anybody know of a good open source nesting software?
And maybe guide me on how to use it? Hopefully this 'ol dog can learn new tricks.
I've been thrust into a position at my job where I need to learn a new skill and fast.
Need to do a crap ton of parts out of sheets of various types of material on CNC mills and laser machines.
I've tried using Deepnest, with a giant fail. I have no 'efing clue what I'm doing.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm a newbie here. I joined a few minutes ago in this community. I would like to know more about this nesting software. Thank you!
Forgot I posted this.
A few days after I posted this I found a video on YouTube where a girl was using Deepnest for clothing patterns (of all things).
I followed her instructions the best I could and I eventually figured it out.
It's not as robust as the licensed versions, but for "freeware" it's not half bad. It did what I needed it to do.

To the OP, nesting software is a program that takes the shape or different shapes of objects and arranges them into optimized arrays to fit the maximum number of those shapes within a confined or predetermined area.
A very heavily used tool in the laser and water-jet industry.

Example

Reactions: BendyMike

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
So, it's a Tetris solver?

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, it's a Tetris solver?
:ROFLMAO:
That is an excellent analogy. Never thought of it that way, but yeah in a nut shell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts