Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year my neighbor's garage was flattened by a giant tree that fell on it. Unfortunately his prized 1959 Mercedes 220 SE was in it at the time. I always liked that car and was sad to see it destroyed. A few weeks later I was talking to a friend of mine who works at a body shop in the next town and he was telling me what he was working on, a 1958 250 Testarossa (the one that hit the wall at Laguna this past summer), a 1962 250 GTO (same owner) and the shop was also working on a Mercedes 220 SE that was flattened by a tree. I was glad to hear that he was restoring it, but after seeing the damage I was skeptical as to the results, even with these guys. Well I finally saw it back in it's place (well in a new garage in the same location) a few of weeks ago, and it looks great!

Before:

After:

Here's an article in the SJ Merc:
http://www.mercurynews.com/los-gatos/ci_14224889

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Jim,

Los Gatos due to it's proximity to San Jose has always been a near high end enclave since the '90s. My cousin lives in Los Altos Hills. The fact that the owner TOOK this car back to Germany says it all. Still an amazing restoration. Thanks for sharing this story.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll ask him (subtly) if his insurance actually covered it, my guess is he paid out of pocket, though that particular model is apparently rare. I truly doubt however that insurance covered all of it (either the car or the garage).

·
for your entertainment...
7,032 Posts
I'll ask him (subtly) if his insurance actually covered it, my guess is he paid out of pocket, though that particular model is apparently rare. I truly doubt however that insurance covered all of it (either the car or the garage).
IIRC it's not the body style that's rare... rather that engine and trim package in that body is what makes it rare. Going on research I did over 25 years ago since my parents were looking at used Benz's back then... and we looked at a bunch of old 220s in that body style, but all were pedestrian powerplants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.