Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my neighbors either got a new dog, or started leaving their little yippee dog outside in their side yard closest to my house. The thing starts barking at 6:30am and won't shut up. It's being doing this repeatedly. I want to complain.

Should I:

1. Go over to my neighbors house and tell them their dog is getting to be a nuisance and they need to do something about it.

2. Call our association and have them send them a letter telling them they are receiving complaints about their dog barking.

3. Call the police and complain to them.

I guess if I just go over there, then I loose the anonymity for taking further action like 2 and 3. Although doing 2 or 3 will more than likely make them suspect I complained since I'm the closest house to them, but the people behind them could be suspected as well. These people moved in about a year ago, but I don't really talk to them much besides just saying hello.

Ideas?

·
Registered
191 Posts
same problem

I too, have the same problem with a neighbor whose dog wont shut up. You'd think the dog would have gone hoarse by now, but nope... it just barks & barks. One time I stuck my head over the fence and barked back at it, just to be funny, and there was my neighbor! She thought it was cute and said "aw, look you're making friends!". No you idiot, I was so irritated with your dog, I snapped and was barking back at it!!

Calling the police seems like a bit much, but what recourse is there?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Take it from me as I have experience in this field (recently called Animal Control on my neighbors 16+ cats that like to spray on my house and climb on my car with muddy paws).

1. Talking to your neighbors like rational humans is the best and first thing you should do, even if they are rednecks with mullets like mine are.

2. If the problem persists you should do something on your end to stop it without getting the law involved and that the neighbors won't know you are doing like a:

Bark Free:
http://www.biconet.com/critter/barkFree.html
" Persistent barking and bad behavior in dogs is often difficult to cure. Bark Free (indoor or outdoor use) and Super Bark Free,(outdoor use only) developed by veterinary technicians in the USA, are humane and effective ways to help cure your pet's behavioral problems. Most dogs find that being close to an activated Bark Free is very distressing and uncomfortable.

When placed within range of the offending dog, Bark Free is designed to turn on automatically when barking occurs. Dogs learn to associate the loud, irritating sound produced by the Bark Free as being a result of barking and stop barking to stop the Bark Free sound.

Bark Free uses a unique "Bark Pickup Sensitivity Adjustment Selector" which allows the user to adjust the microphone to the dog's bark. Always remember, the activation microphone in the Bark Free just detects sound, it can not tell the difference between different types of sounds.

Bark Free also has a specially designed "Sound Selector". The selector can be set to ultra-sonic deterrent sound, which can only be heard by your dog, or lower frequencies that are also audible to humans. Both sounds have been proven to be effective in controlling barking dogs"

3. Talk to them again and strongly ask them to stop their dog from barking and let them know that you will call the cops/animal control if is isn't stopped. Before you talk to them it may be a good idea to call you local law enforcement agency and find out what the laws are concerning dog barking. It is usually if the dog barks for longer than 30 minutes continually it is considered a nuisance.

4. Call the cops/animal control if nothing else works.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
jeez - try living in a "pet friendly" apartment complex... :roll: I've got a weimaraner downstairs that goes into a barking frenzy if I so much as open the refridgerator... and a yippy dog next door that responds to it.

The "bark free" thing sounds kinda cool, but I don't think there is any substitute for good training -- which obviously our neighbors don't know about.

Personally, me being a wuss and all and trying to avoid confrontation at all costs (<george mcfly>I'm not good at confrontations... biff</george mcfly>), I would say talk to the association if you have one. That is what they are there for.

·
Registered
555 Posts
the freakin chihuahua next door likes to start up at like 2 AM.
And dude next door doesnt do anything.
I dont know what to do......
I was thinking last night, wide awake at 2AM, how funny it would be if in the morning the neighbor finds his dog covered in different color paint from paintballs.
Those quick little dogs are tough to hit though...........
If that barking machine thing works. I'd buy it, put on my fence.
For you, Id say leave an anonomous (sp?) letter on their car / or front door asking to please control your dog.
If that doesnt work go to the asscoiation.
Your not the only one within barking proximity of these people Im sure.
Its always wierd confronting a neighbor about something that pisses the whole neighborhood off.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
When I lived in a neighborhood where everyone had 6-foot privacy fences, I had a similar problem, except they didn't leave the dog out at night (whew!). This from a neigbor that was diagonal from our backyard (corners met). They were on another street and we didn't know them.

Stupid dog would bark its head off if there was any noise from any yard around. I would throw things (palm nuts, rocks, etc) at it which would work briefly. I couldn't really aim due to the fence.

I mailed the ad for an "anti-bark" collar, addressed to " DOG OWNER" . Didn't work. We moved.

I would talk to them, since they are next door.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
My town has a noise ordinance and you can call the police and they will make the owner keep the dog inside until 8am and it has to go back in at 9pm I believe.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If it were me, I would just take my 500S&W mag outside and have target practice (not at the dog) everytime it barks. Let's see who can make more noise. Of course until sometime this summer, I live outside the city limits and can do this.

Of course talking to the offending owner would probably produce more amicable results.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Same problem here. I have a good relationship with my neighbor too as we go fishing often. I brought the issue of his dog up while we were fishing and he said he'd do something about it. Well, 8 months later still nothing. If the dog barks at night, I got out and spray him with water but that only lasts for maybe an hour or so.
Time to be confrontational I guess.

Joe

·
Registered
555 Posts
Damn. Ace goes out and sprays the neighbors dog with water.
Thats pretty funny.
See, the way I figure, you can call the cops without getitng out of bed, and the cops arent gonna volunteer the fact it was you that called.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
MattinPismo said:
Damn. Ace goes out and sprays the neighbors dog with water.
Thats pretty funny.
See, the way I figure, you can call the cops without getitng out of bed, and the cops arent gonna volunteer the fact it was you that called.
You would think so eh?
We called the cops about a barking dog, the damn thing was barking all night.
The cops told the guy we had made a complaint and that if he didn't control his dog we were going to take it further. !!

The guy pulled his dog inside but now does not speak to us...

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
V6er said:
You would think so eh?
We called the cops about a barking dog, the damn thing was barking all night.
The cops told the guy we had made a complaint and that if he didn't control his dog we were going to take it further. !!

The guy pulled his dog inside but now does not speak to us...
You're probably not missin' it (the conversation) much, though, in exchange for the quiet at night.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I ordered one of those bark fighter things from dr's foster smith so we'll see. I have about 8 little yappy things behind me that bark at the slightest activity in my yard. What's funny is my dogs for the most part ignore them. I'd be emberassed if my dogs behaved like that.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keep the replies coming. If it gets bad I might buy one of those dog whistle electronic things. I will probably try and talk with them next time I see him out. Fortunately they won't be around for too much longer since they are building a new house down the street. Also once it hits 100 it would be pretty mean to leave their dog outside.

Confronting neighbors always sucks. I got mad at my last neighbors because their kids drove over my plants with those stupid battery powered go cart things. They thought I was some jerk because I wanted them to keep their kids off my plants and my yard. What happened to common courtesy?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I were rich I would buy a house with so much land around it I couldn't even see my neighbors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts