Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to this site. Been reading it for a while just joined. Anyway. Need help in the Maryland area. I have an 05 Passat wagon 1.8t 4motion. Got in a fender bender and the air bag deployed. The ins company is probably gonna total it. That's not what I want. If I can find the parts. I might be able to save her. Need front bumper, grills, hood, and air bag( passenger side dash, grey cover sensors, ect...) any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I don't know much about that year and the only help I can offer is this.

Usually when airbags deploy (especially) from the dash. The entire dash is now garbage. Also from what you describe it sounds like you may have more damage than what you listed or can see. This is a small car (A good car but there isn't a lot of room up front) and it wouldn't take much to bend radiator brackets, bumper mounts, headlight mounts and things directly behind the bumper/ grill.

Post some pics?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,188 Posts
Mr. Obvious: If you're willing to spend enough time and money, you can repair anything. The insurance company will total it for a reason; repair cost at retail exceeds (typically 80%) of the wholesale value of the car. In borderline situations, DIY repairs will pull the equation back to the other side.

Now, what was your question? Is it worth it? No way to tell without at least seeing detailed pictures, knowing how much you love your car, and how much work you're willing to put into it. Quick answer is, NO.

·
Registered
812 Posts
That's quite involved work. 1.8t wagon 4motions are rare, so that may be a reason to keep it. Sounds like the front end needs to be replaced, core support, ac, radiator, everything you listed, numerous other bits and pieces. Won't be a small project. Nor cheap, even as a DIY.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.