Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '99 1.8T and I have some fuel leaking around my injectors where they meet the manifold. I have the o-rings I just want to know if anyone has done this before I start taking things apart.

Should this be covered under the powertrain warranty by any chance? I have had some very minor leaking ever since the second year of owning my car (now at 69K) and the dealer said "it's normal" but for the past two days (it's been really cold here in TX, it even snowed today) I have been smelling raw gas while driving. I opened my hood, smelled around and sure enough it's coming right from the #2 and #3 injectors. The is more seepage aounrd the injectors.

If you have done this or have any sugggestions please let me know.

Here's a pic of #2

·
Registered
99 Posts
ttt

I have the same problem as the original poster. I assume replacing the o rings on the injectors will fix this. Anyone else do this?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a '99 1.8T as well and is leaks at the rear 2 injectors. I have wanted to replace the seals, but was wondering if it was covered under warranty. I would think it is, but don't know for sure. Anyone know:???:

Where did you get the seals and how many are needed per injector?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Doing the injectorsfrom will take you about 30mins or less. You will need allen set long ones. Make sure you have no pressure in the fuel rail. You should have the car off for the next 1 to 2hrs. Once you remove allen screw. you can pull the fuel rail. unplug the plug in the injectors first. You can then pull the injectors and replace the gasket. Make sure you get the lube for the gasket it will make it last longer and easy to put back i used vaseline.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
vwfool2000

1) Start the car
2) Remove Fuse #28 Fuel Pump
3) Let the car die from fuel starvation; this is a very easy method for taking the pressure out of the Fuel Rail.
4) Using a 5mm long allen wrench or T-wrench, remove the two bolts that hold the fuel rail down. These are the ONLY things keeping the fuel injectors from popping off.

5) Based on the pic, it appears to be the lower O-ring in the injector boss but if you have both, all the better. Remove the rail from all 4 injectors; have a RAG ready for any residual fuel that will spill out. (yes, there will still be fuel but it won't be under pressure.
6) Near the injector that's being worked on, use something to clean out any loose dirt that's nearby; you don't want that going down into the injector boss.
7)Remove all of the electrical connections from the injectors.
8)Remove the injjector and immediately put a paper towel down into the injector boss.

9) Replace the O-ring(s) and assembly is the reverese of steps 1-8.

NOTE: the 5mm bolts originally use "green" loctite; you can elect to simply bolt in the two bolts or use loctite green or blue on the threads for assembly.

B5car's suggestion to lube the O-rings is a good idea too; I used motor oil but anything should work fine.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Step 0.5... purchase eight new fuel injector ring gaskets. ;)

I always called those openings "bungs" though I suppose "boss" and "bung" hole are very similar terms to a lot of people. :lol:

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Good summary, Herman! You should be the official CB5 Tutor... :thumbup:

One caution - if your car is warm, removing fuse #28 sometimes doesn't do the job. Between the time your car dies and you unbolt everything and the fuel comes out, heat causes residual pressure to build up, and "phisshh" you have gasoline in your face.

Last night I did this very thing - putting o-rings on and installing my new 380cc injectors (ooo, the tops are dark blue!) - on a warm engine. I removed fuse 28. The car died. I restarted, it ran for a few seconds, and died. I restarted again until it would no longer run. Even after all this, when I (slowly and carefully) removed my FPR, fuel fizzled and burbled out.

Moral is, do this on a cold engine.

An extra step that made the job easier for me:

3a or 4a) Disconnect throttle cable from throttle body, unbolt bracket holding it to manifold, unclip from fuel rail and move out of the way

This gives the fuel rail extra freedom of movement.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
this problem seems common on the AEB engine. Anyone recommend a place to pick up o-rings for the injectors?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Rusty said:
Last night I did this very thing - putting o-rings on and installing my new 380cc injectors (ooo, the tops are dark blue!)
Whats the benifit of this more fuel ?? Would the car run more rich ?

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Phatdub said:
Rusty said:
Last night I did this very thing - putting o-rings on and installing my new 380cc injectors (ooo, the tops are dark blue!)
Whats the benifit of this more fuel ?? Would the car run more rich ?
Check out Rusty's homepage. His B5 is one to gualk over. No chip, but he's still getting 1 Bar boost, maybe more. His page is very informative, and you'll understand why he is July's B5 of the month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts