Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the timing belt, tensioner, idler pulley, water pump, etc. 500 miles ago on my 2002 V6 with 110K. When I installed the parts I didn't have a torque wrench and made sure the bolts were nice and snug.

I saw a youtube video saying if you over-torque the tensioner bolt it'll sheer off. That freaked me out a bit. Now I'm going back in to remove the timing belt to replace cam chain tensioner (CCT) gaskets (note to noobs - be sure to diagnose an oil leak before doing a timing belt) :icon_eek:

Regarding the tensioner, idler, water pump, etc., are they one use bolts (like the crankshaft pulley bolt?) Is it okay just to back out the bolts, apply a bit of blue locktite, torque to the correct spec?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a V6. I understand the right side (passenger in the US) CCT gasket can be done without removing the timing belt. But the left side (driver's side) CCT gasket needs the timing belt removed. Is this not the case?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Is it okay just to back out the bolts, apply a bit of blue locktite, torque to the correct spec?
I'd be careful about screw-torque when the threads are wet with Loctite, because before it solidifies, the fluid may act as a lubricant, allowing the screw to turn further than when dry, and over-stretch. Perhaps check with Loctite to see what they recommend. Personally, when using thread locker, I don't use a torque wrench: just snug the fastener by feel, and let the Loctite keep it from moving. For those components that don't need any serious tension load on the screws/bolts, I find that approach works for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.