Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I just suffered the most disheartening blow in my life . I lost vacuum while on the road, while moving from one state to another. The vacuum gave out to such a degree that I also lost the brake booster (I know it's a vacuum leak , have dealt with a leak before in this car in the past that gave these exact same symptoms)

The bad news: this move literally ate up all my savings - and while I got a great job waiting for me tomorrow/today - between the apt lease, deposit, expenses and travel cost, I currently only have $300 to my name, so getting towed to a shop is not even an option to suggest.

The good news: I have done plenty of work on different cars, up to complete transmission replacements, and have had to do my share on this god damn car as well.

More good news: It thankfully happened when I decided to make one last stop before a bridge toll booth (the bridge has no shoulder) and eventually managed to drag it to a 24h Wawa lot/rest area.

The bad news: The only way out is back on he highway.

The good news: I have all my tools with me , ratchets sockets clamps you name it. I even have a cordless 1200lbs/ft Earthquake XT impact wrench and a cordless grinder.

The bad news: this car has only so much space, so the box with testing equipment is sitting in storage.

Good news: while I don't have replacement parts, I am within a mile from AutoZone, and 1.5m of Advanced Auto so could get them.

Bad news: since the car is filled with everything that's important, including official documents like my birth cert passport etc., I cannot risk getting towed when I'm not around, so I can only make one trip for parts.

To summarize, I need some MacGyver-esque advice to find and fix it (to make it only another 150 highway miles) here and now, because I'm pretty much in shock that this happened now all of a sudden ( I figured , maybe the serpentine belt might snap , maybe the alternator, something new , just not a complete loss of vac combined with a dead brake pedal ). Figure I can most likely get at least 3-4 hrs of full on mechanic/shop work in here in the parking lot before wawas or the staties patrolling the area make me get a tow truck .

The leak seems to be coming from below the intake, and I could also use the vacuum line diagram if someone's got one on hand. Ok, that's about it, my life clearly sucks at the moment, so I'm gonna try to catch a few hrs of sleep before my trek for hoses and other potential parts.

I probably should have started with the model: 2000 Passat 1.8t eNgine family: Yadxv01.8332

thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
pop up coolant reservoir ,there is a major line that on my 2001.5 1.8 AWM that runs under it rubber hose with a plastic hose pipe, check there first ,fingers crossed that if it is a hose it went "South" at termination point(ends where it attaches)will check in later

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
be cool,it will be O.K. and the hose (plastic) I previously mentioned spans about 6-8 inches there ( at least on mine ) I had major leak there

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, thank you for the reply, it really helps mentally at a time like this.

More bad news: this place is the worst rest stop ever. It's the busiest wawas I've ever seen. People are double parking all over. There was a 15m wait for mens bathroom. My OOS plates will stick out like a sore thumb by the end of the day.

Some actual great news: Helped a crew change a tire on a work truck. The cordless Earthquake impact wrench surprised all of us, when the air compressor they called for couldn't do the job but there are vids of ppl using it on large buses. They offered to buy me lunch, but....it was a plumbers truck! I asked if I could buy a bunch of fittings from them. They let grab whatever I might need for free because not needing to get the truck towed saved them from losing over $1.5K in scheduled labor. Now at least I can potentially repair any cracked hose lines by cutting coupling and clamping.

Craziest 12 hours of my life.

·
Registered
258 Posts
pop up coolant reservoir ,there is a major line that on my 2001.5 1.8 AWM that runs under it rubber hose with a plastic hose pipe, check there first ,fingers crossed that if it is a hose it went "South" at termination point(ends where it attaches)will check in later
I think on my 2003 AWM that was the hose that collapsed on itself before it transitioned to a rigid piece. I replaced it with silicone hose. Another strange one was a pinhole leak in a check valve housing that is connected to the tiny hose at the very top of the engine, I don't know what it's called. I replaced it with a $2 aftermarket check valve and it's been fine for like 5-10 years now (I blow down the hose every few years because I'm insane). It was hard to hear even with an auto stethoscope, but if you're in a bind you could try the round cardboard cylinder from a paper towel roll and put that on your ear and then the other side over the different pieces. You could also try feeling with your hands, you might feel the air. The worst PCV component I worked on (if it's considered PCV) was the oil breather tube below the intake that was a huge PITA, the intake had to come off and there were other things I found already broken and things I broke in the process.

Never has my braking gone bad due to PCV issues though. There were a few times I had a code for brake booster but I suspect it always had something to do with the brakes losing fluid due to leaks and not the actual brake booster, because it would clear itself up when I would fix the brakes.

edit: Also, another thing, I've used silicone tape stretched successfully on broken PCV bends so you might want to get some of that while you're at autozone if you find that you don't have an exact match with the parts you have now.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I replaced that same hose,and as like yours had "flattened" out from heat fatique . I am one of those " keeping" it original OCD ers ha! Still use the cloth wrapped hoses. I got a bunch of stainless steel (3ft. long,small small diameter) spring stock from McMaster Carr and now on any vac. lines where heat is involved cut it to length and push it inside hose to prevent collapse.

·
Administrator
23,318 Posts
If you are losing brake pressure, check the suction jet pump at the back of the head. It has a hard plastic line that runs to the brake booster. the other lines feed it vacuum.

cchief22, interesting. I've never had a line on mine collapse. I know the braided ones collapse easily, but my stock lines are nylon/poly strand reinforced rubber. While the braided stock looks cool, it sucks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts