Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a quiet and good performing heat sink fan.

I have an Athlon XP 2200+. What is the optimal operating temps of this processor?

Currently I am using a Vantec VA4-C7040 TMD Fan that runs at 5600 RPM's and puts out 38dba's. Too load for me. I would like a fan that puts out maybe 20-25 dba's.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
zalman fans (I have the flower type) are quiet.

also get a speed control (pot) and adjust until your mobo-monitor says you are as hot as you (yourself) will allow. for me, I run my k7 chip at 47 or so and its quiet (fan speed almost ALL the way down) and I haven't blown the chip, yet ;)

if/when I do, I'll set the speed higher. at full speed, the flower gets it down to 42. when its moving the slowest, its closer to 52! but the system still runs fine.

get a fan speed control and try the fan you have NOW - you may be able to lower its rpm and still get enough cooling.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

The Zalman fans won't work with my MB, according to their website. I have a ECS K7VTA3 v.6.0

Is there software that can I use for fan speed control?

Not sure what you mentioned, pot?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
pot = potentiometer. 'speed knob'. you can find it at computer stores.

not software, its a hardware knob (literally)

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
PC power and cooling make some good fans. Built in speed/heat control. Not sure if they make heat sink fans. Zalmans always get good marks.

Check out coolerguys.com and svc.com some good prices and a good selection of cooling equipment.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
VdubTX said:
how does it install? Is the 3 pin power connector hook up to it and then the pot hoks up to the MB connection?
yes it goes in series. one end to the mobo and one to the existing heatsink fan.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
VDubTX, I'm in the struggle with you brother for a quiet system. ThermalTake has a new fan called The Silent Tower which uses small copper pipes which attach to a heatsink and fan. You can configure the setup as a single or dual fan setup. The single fan configuration puts out 21db's.

Here's the URL for the setup and you can check Pricewatch or order directly through ThermalTake.

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/cl-p0025/cl-p0025silentTower.htm

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy Crap. That thing is a monster. It would be quiet though.

Thanks a mil.

I did find THIS one at the coolerguys.com link provided by jwilker. Not a bad price for it either. The one I currently have is $25.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Gotta love heat pipes. ThermalTake makes nice ones too. like those a lot. IIRC a good one has alum inthe cor and copper fins since the alum draws the head faster and copper radiates it away faster, it might be the other way around, can't recall.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Take a look at Thermalright heatsinks and Panaflo fans (very quiet) or Vantec Stealth (faster rotating, still not too noisy). I'm currently using a Thermalright SLK-947U on an Athlon XP 2500+, it is a little BIG, but keeps everthing cool, even with a slower rotating fan. The thermalright site has motherboard compatiability information for their heatsinks.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Re: Heat. my Athlon 2100+ with stock cooling runs around 50 degrees Celcius. I think you can get it up to 80 before it dies, but I wouldn't get close to that. At 60 I would start worrying, IMO.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Check out www.cooligy.com for the Cooligy Electrokinetic Pump. Not available yet, but no moving parts - total silence. Saw it on the Screen Savers on TechTV.

I use the CoolerMaster Aero 7. It comes with a "pot" to control the speed. It's loud with the fan all the way up, but I have it down to where I can barely hear it. My cpu stays at 47 c (Athlon 2600+, overclocked). It ran at about 42 at the stock cpu speed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just replaced my noisy Speeze socket 478 fan with an Arctic-Cooling http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/ Super Silent 4Pro L. I am pleased with the results. It was about $24 shipped from newegg.com. It has a 3 position switch for low, medium, and high fan settings. Even the high setting is far less noisy than my old fan! I would check the website to see if they have heat sink/fans for AMD chips.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just bought a ThermalTake Silent boost.

Only 21 decibel's at 2450 rpm's. I will have to make sure it is on when I am working on that PC to make sure it is actually spinning.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
VdubTX
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing