Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have some MB Quarts in the front but feel it's time to upgrade...newer/better equipment.

I intend on using the Scosche speaker adapters for the install. Given this, what is a good option (in terms of size and model) of speaker for the front. BTW: I'm looking for components, so tweets will be changed too.

I'd like DynAudio or Focal...but they seem to be a little too expensive and there is talk that it will not be an easy fit.

What are your experiences in terms of installs and sound quality? Also, I recall the tweets were a bitch to install because they would not fit in the stock hole...they would not stay secure. What do I do about installing tweets? All feedback is welcomed.

mike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mike which car is this for, If I remember correctly you sold your passat, but i can't remember waht you replaced it with. Tell us that and we can offer more assistance

I have Set of DYNAUDIO system 240's that I would consider selling they are NIB and never been installed in anything they would be 400 plus shipping.

Pete

edit made typo on price

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still have the Passat.

Are the speakers you talk about easy to install...or do they require custom work?

thanks,
mike

BTW: It's a B5

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I know your elagant green beast very well you always seem to forget installing your turbo timer in my driveway,

The dyn's would require a little customization to install in the stock locations,the woofer only need spacer rings to be made, the tweeters to be installed were the stock ones go would require the holes in the stock panels to be enlarged an then some an adhesive of some sort to hold them in .

Pete

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Going to a set of Boston rallys from a set of Quarts would be a downgrade to say the least. A set of Boston Pros or a set of Boston Z6s would be good, but have the same basic tonal qualities as the Quarts IMO. The Dyns are a lot smoother and have better midbass. I'll stick with my ID horns and midbasses.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have a problem with the MBs...there just getting old (over 5 years old).

BM: I always forget about the turbo timer install. I'm thankful to this day! I recall your brother had a RX7....if those were a little more reliable I'd be all over it. I think I'll just end up going with a Z06 (and keep the B5).

In terms of the Dynaudio speakers you have, would the Scosche adapter/spacer work for the woofers or you think more modifications will be necessary? As for the tweets, I know the stock location has a hole that the stock tweeter sits in. Are you saving that the "walls" for this hole/cylinder would have to be cut, then the new tweeter placed there and secured with something? Assuming it could be secured, would the OEM tweeter cover go back into place on the door?

thanks,
mike

BTW: Which model of the 240 are you selling?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
mike5 said:
I don't have a problem with the MBs...there just getting old (over 5 years old).
Then I'd leave them in. No sense in spending more money if there's nothing wrong with what you've got.

In terms of the Dynaudio speakers you have, would the Scosche adapter/spacer work for the woofers or you think more modifications will be necessary?
They might work, but if you're going to put something as nice as a set od Dyns in take the time to build a proper MDF baffle. The mid will have a more stable mount and it'll sound better. All those plastic premade spacers are garbage.

As for the tweets, I know the stock location has a hole that the stock tweeter sits in. Are you saving that the "walls" for this hole/cylinder would have to be cut, then the new tweeter placed there and secured with something? Assuming it could be secured, would the OEM tweeter cover go back into place on the door?

The cover could probably be made to fit, but you should really look into making a bridge over the mid for the tweeter. You'd be suprised how much better it will sound when there isn't a phase problem at the crossove point.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
mike5 said:
BTW: Which model of the 240 are you selling?
IIRC they are the "System 240 MKII" have to check when I get home tonight

Like I said I might be selling them but I haven't decided yet.

Pete

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think those dyns would be a nice upgrade to your older mb quarts. And they should fit just fine, the tweeter could be tricky, but you should certainly be able to mount it in the factory location and still reuse the factory grille. It will be money well spent if you ask me...and probably an easier fit than a set of large focals, etc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll stick with my ID horns and midbasses
The cover could probably be made to fit, but you should really look into making a bridge over the mid for the tweeter. You'd be suprised how much better it will sound when there isn't a phase problem at the crossove point.
What is you horn installation like? are they in your dash or your doors or what? Also, are they out of phase with the mids because of this, do you have it corrected somehow?

Im looking at integrating horns into my big plan for a system (one which proceeds extremely slowly due to limited funds) and i want to know what they entail.

Also, does anyone know of mirror plate planels without tweeter holes, id feel dumb to have holes there and no tweets.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Horns are generally installed under the dash facing forward. If you really wanted to you could mount them in the doors, but it's not how they were meant to be installed. Mine are in phase with the midbasses. I may add a set of dedicated mids, but i don't really want to lose any foot room. I'll have to see how even I can get the curve without them.

I wouldn't worry about not having anything in the tweeter holes. If you're really concerned about it you could just leave them in there and not connect them.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was looking for install pictures actually, ill see what i can find, i dont undersatnd how something under the dash can be good for the sound stage...

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Because the pathlength from the speaker to the listening position is over 6 feet. Because of this the 6" difference in distance between the listener and each speaker doesn't screw up the sound as bad. Also mounting speakers in the kick panels works extremely well, but not quite as good as horns. The OEM mounting locations for the tweeters are actually one of the worst for a sound quality install because the mid and tweeter are WAY out of phase at the crossover point. A decent coaxial speaker mounted in the stock door locations will blow a comp set mounted in the oem locations out of the water.
For maximum SQ you want the mid and tweeter as close together as possible and you want to keep the pathlength difference between the left and right speakers as close to even as possible. The one way around this is to use time alignment to delay the signals going to the speakers so they all hit you at the same time. it ucks for everyone else, but then again, it's not their car.

If you were local I'd let you have a listen to my car when it's done or my wife's car now.

·
Registered
151 Posts
A decent coaxial speaker mounted in the stock door locations will blow a comp set mounted in the oem locations out of the water.
i have a set of coaxials i can throw in the doors, but i didnt cause i dont want the treble getting ate by my ankles. when i had then installed in my other car i would drive crosslegged just so i could hear them evenly (as no treble was absorbed on the passenger side)

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
souplogic said:
A decent coaxial speaker mounted in the stock door locations will blow a comp set mounted in the oem locations out of the water.
i have a set of coaxials i can throw in the doors, but i didnt cause i dont want the treble getting ate by my ankles. when i had then installed in my other car i would drive crosslegged just so i could hear them evenly (as no treble was absorbed on the passenger side)

What is your other car? I have a set of Kicker RS6s coaxially mounted in my wife's Jetta 3, not exactly a large car by any means, and I actually had to turn the tweeters down a bit. Man I wish I could work on your car.
I could build you a setup for very little that would blow your mind. Hell, I only have maybe $1000 in my wife's car and it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In some situations putting a nice tweeter coaxially mounted on a midbass can sound awesome, and then you have very minimal phase problems, etc etc etc.....but man, it's kinda boring to listen to. I think that for people who arent competing, the phase differnce can make the car more fun to listen to, and certainly having the tweeters up high keeps your feet from blocking the treble. If you arent competing, I'd say put the speakers in the stock positions and enjoy the hell out of it.

A few of the best sounding cars I've ever heard, which are expert class competitors, have the mids mounted in the kicks, and then the tweeters in the a-pillars. This might not be the best for mechanical phase problems, but an eq can help to accoustically shift the phase back in sync, and the different crossover slopes will naturally throw the tweeter either 90, 180, 0r 270 degrees out of phase in relation to the midbass, so all of these things combined can actually make the car perfectly in phase, accoustically, but not mechanically even with the tweeters mounted on different axis' and farther apart than they should be in a perfect world.

I did an install a couple of years ago in a tahoe with a set of image horns, and I rebuilt the top of the dash and put the horns firing straight at the windshield. Then I built some door pods for it and put 2 6" chameleon mid bass drivers in them and it sounded awesome. Certainly wasnt the most optimum placement of the mid bass drivers, but through adjustable crossover slopes and eq curves we managed to make it image awesome on the dash and make the best out of what we had to work with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts