Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need some help id'ing this part (see pic)

1999 AEB engine. Shot looking straight down on front of engine, towards radiator fans and timing belt area.

Look at the belt and roller directly in the center - now, what is the silvery-metal part directly to the left hand side of the belt and roller?

thanks peeps.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick answer...now lets get right down to it.

I had the hood open 2 days ago just inspecting and decided to rev the throttle by hand- i noticed this part had a little give to it as the engine rev up and down.

Is this normal? Or is the first sign that my timing belt is about to blow up my engine??
:nervous:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
I had the exact same issue not too long ago......thanks to my shitty install of snubmount (or maybe it's not the right snubmount as it came of late 99.....installed it on early 99).

Basically I seen the engine mount OUT of its bracket.....wasnt good. Actually it is VERY bad for B5s.....my whole engine felt like it swayed when I steped on it.

That tensioner had one bolt that was completely lose.....but the tensioner itself wasn't loose....weird

Took the thing apart......tightened it up. Try to get to it without taking off the bumper or putting it into front service overhaul position.....if you can't get to it you will have to take front end apart. Easy to do....just time consuming.

Once you pull the front out a bit you will have access to whatever you need.

PS it has NOTHING to do with timing belt so no worries there. BUt look into it and fix it up.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok - thanks for the info. i feel a little better now.

re: the timing belt and all the associated parts - im planning on having it all done in the next 2-3 months (waiting on a job thing to get settled).

my car really is in great shape - engine is strong and i check replace parts ona reg. basis. everything from hoses to oil to all filters. with only 65K on the engine, i think thats low miles for a 1999, ya know?

honestly, once the timing belt job is done, i will feel much better though.

thanks for the help. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts