Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I am trying to replace my rear brake pads on my 1998 VW Passat. I got the calipers off and the old brake pads out but I can't get the pistons to retract. I have tried spinning them and pushing on them but nothing seems to work. I have even tried opening the bled screw a little to get them to go in but nothing is working. Can anyone help me out? I have work tomorrow and need a car haha

Thanks
Nate

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I've never tried it w/o the tool but it is pretty easy with it. I use it on fronts (that don't need to spin) as well.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Advance Auto also has a free loaner tool. If the piston is pretty extended it's difficult to retract without the tool. Some people say they use needle nose pliers, but mine would never budge with anything like that. In fact mine were dam tight even with the tool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I gave up trying to do it with needle nose and decided to just pick up a universal tool from autozone for like 15 bucks. I'm waiting for it to cool a little outside and then I'm going to try it. Should I open the bled screw while doing it? I've heard different things

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up using the loaner from autozone but I must say I will nerver try to do that again with out the specialty tool. that alone made the job so much easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts