Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,
I was wondering if I could elicit some advice. I have an 03 1.8t 5.5 with grey leather....I was conditioning my seats yesterday and found what looks to be 4 or 5 small cracks on crease marks in the leather on the drivers seat back bolster. It looks as though the grey coating on the leather has begun to delaminate a bit...none of them are any bigger than a few microns wide but they are there and given that the car is only 11 months old I''m a bit scared that it will get worse with time...I looked at my other seats and found nothing like it anywhere. I condition them once a month so I wouldnt think they were dry or anything. What do I do if they try and pin it on my belt or choice in pants or something??? Any advice appreciated...anyone else had this problem?

-cbx :nervous:

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Take a look in vwvortex I think someone there has the same issue

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well...I just got it back from the dealer and the service manager just looked at it...He said he needs to call a rep to make a determination. He said that side bolster appears to not have the grain that the rest of the leather seats have and that it looks like it might have been repaired at one point...WTF!? Why would it after only 9 months...I've owned it for three...how could they have ruined a bolster in six months...either way he said, if the rep finds it to be not a VW thing then he'll call the purchasing dealer and tell them to replace it for me...I hope he comes through.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking at it this morning...I think they ought to fix it...I dont know why they wouldnt...it really bothers me that I'm finding cracks this early. :puke:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Haha, you remind me of my friend, he took his car in to get an oil change, and when he got his key back, he inspected the key, the entire car, and everything in it. He found a hairline scratch, not noticable unless you were to open the key and look VERY closely, and he said that they HAD to replace it (of course they did... it was in their posession). The dealership ended up having to fork out 200 dollars for a brand new remote :thumbdow: :suspicio:

Unless the cracks are so bad that it is extremely visable, I don't think there is any need for concern. Seats crack over time, and especially in the California sun, you should expect them to wear. I am not sure what you are refering to exactly, but my seats have several creases in them as well. I have just decided that it is normal, and left it alone. If the leather is actually SEPERATING and the coloring of it is coming off, I would bring something up. But creases are normal. Good luck!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's actually the grey coating on the leather bolster that is cracking and exposing lighter color underneath it...I have creases too...not worried about those, but I am anal about it

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...I met with the rep...he's going to replace my seat cover...he attributed the cracking to scratches from getting in and out of the car ( :shock: ) no way...I told him the only hole in that argument is when you push on the leater it just happens to crease right in that spot where the cracks in the grey are...he acted like he was making an exception...In the long run, I'm getting it fixed, but he included a lecture about wear and tear. :roll:

oh well...just thought I would post the results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts