Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get your opinions on trading in my current B6 2.0T with Package 2 + rearbags.

Would you guys/gals get the '07 B6 4Motion with the Sport2 Package?
or
Would you guy/gals get an '06 Audi A4 Quattro with Sport Package?

I paid $29,600 for rmy car originally (+ the $7500 down payment), and the VW dealer is offering $24,500 for it (miles = 9200).

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Jealius said:
I would like to get your opinions on trading in my current B6 2.0T with Package 2 + rearbags.

or

What do you guys think?
Have you test driven the A4? If not, you should do that first because the Audi is MUCH SMALLER in size than the Passat and you may be unpleasantly surprised at how much car you have to give up.

Once size is out of the way, the A4 gives you more flexibility in matching engine and transmission options, which are simply not available with the 4MO, and so you may be able to configure a better overall "package" meeting your particular driving needs with the Quattro. What engine/tranny combo are you considering for the A4? To be "comparable" to the 4MO, you would have to do the 3.2 with Tip, and then pay (literally) the cost penalty accordingly.

If I was doing the A4 Quattro, it would be with the 2.0 and 6MT; this is plenty of "fun" for such a significantly smaller car, although I must say that my '06 4MO in Sport mode with non-sport suspension is an absolute blast...for a "family car".:lol:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GreggD said:
What engine/tranny combo are you considering for the A4?

I was considering the 2.0T + automatic (tiptronic). I know that the Audi is quite a bit smaller...hence my inability to justify it outright. You have a 4Motion, yes? Does it feel at all like a front-wheel drive car in the corners? Do you know what the default power distribution is to the front vs. the rear? The whole reason that I'm considering a trade-in is because I'm so used to rear-wheel drive cars, and the Passat is my first front-wheel drive car since my college days...

Anyway, thank you for your input!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Jealius said:
GreggD said:
What engine/tranny combo are you considering for the A4?

I was considering the 2.0T + automatic (tiptronic). I know that the Audi is quite a bit smaller...hence my inability to justify it outright. You have a 4Motion, yes? Does it feel at all like a front-wheel drive car in the corners? Do you know what the default power distribution is to the front vs. the rear? The whole reason that I'm considering a trade-in is because I'm so used to rear-wheel drive cars, and the Passat is my first front-wheel drive car since my college days...

Anyway, thank you for your input!
Don't quote me here but I believe the Haldex unit has a default power split F to R of 60:40; the B5.5's Torsen unit was more like 50:50 ( I also owned an '03 4MO). The 4MO eliminates most of the sense that you are driving a FWD, and when powering it on, there is virtually no torque steer; I cannot say the same thing for the 2.0T that I test drove. In the corners, the 4MO goes from neutral to slight understeer, again, not nearly as bad as the 2.0T that I test drove (no sport suspension).

The 4MO may "feel" more like what you are used to; have you test driven one yet?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jealius said:

or

I paid $29,600 for rmy car originally (+ the $7500 down payment), and the VW dealer is offering $24,500 for it (miles = 9200).

What do you guys think?
Why do you wish to trade in your new B6? (All wheel drive I presume?) The $5k hit would be too much for me to take to trade in on a new one, however, if I had to I would probably get the 07 B6. I’ve been pricing out the Audi vs. B6 now for a few weeks and usually lean toward the B6.

My $02 only.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Did I get this correct you paid about $37k (29.600 + 7,500), and they are only offering you $24,500 with less than 10k miles on it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, actually I'm at a loss of about $4500 for "depreciation." The down payment was to reduce what I owe the bank and hence reduce my monthly payments.

$29,000 - $7,500 (down payment) = $21,500 right?
So what I owe the bank is $21,500K - $1050.00 (3 payments) = around $20,450

Therefore, I would have $24,500 (trade-in value) - $20,450 (what I owe the bank) = $4050 equity in the car

So basically I will lose $7500 + $1050 - $4050 = $4500! if I do the trade-in!

The dealer wants $37000 for the new '07 Passat 4Motion with Sport Package 2. So basically, my cost will be $37000 - $4050 = $32,950

So if I look just look at the financial aspect of this, it would appear very foolish for me to do the transaction...But, I just don't know if I could live with "buyer's regret" of a front-wheel drive car.

As they say..."I've done F*&$ed up!" :)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Jealius said:
As they say..."I've done F*&$ed up!" :)
Actually no, I don't think you have. If you look at your 9,200 miles as having a "rental" value for the use of the car, the $4,500 can be rationalized as reasonable. The math may give you heartburn, but what would you rather have: more unsatisfying miles in the FWD, or the AWD that you REALLY want? Either hold onto the 2.0 for a couple more years (to offset the loss of dollars) or bite the bullet and DO THE DEAL! Stop beating yourself up over the negative cash flow issue, my friend.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your words of wisdom!

I think I will test drive the 4Motion Sedan when the dealer gets it in and decide then.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Jealius said:
Thank you all for your words of wisdom!

I think I will test drive the 4Motion Sedan when the dealer gets it in and decide then.:thumbup:
Let us know how the test drive goes for you.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
quality_sound said:
I'd keep the FWD for no other reason than the mileage is better thanit will be on the 4Mo.
I own a 4MO and would not trade it for the 2.0T, chipped, modded or not. For about $250/year difference in gas consumption, I get the significant advantage of AWD, much more power, AFS & Bi-Xenons, etc. IMO, gas mileage (money) should NOT be the overiding consideration here; if it is, why would you even be looking at the 4MO?

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Yes, but YOU have a W8. He's going to have the same motor just different drivetrain. He'll actually end up with LESS WHP and WTQ as well as a decrease in mileage.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
quality_sound said:
Yes, but YOU have a W8. He's going to have the same motor just different drivetrain. He'll actually end up with LESS WHP and WTQ as well as a decrease in mileage.
W8? 2.0 and 3.6 the "same motor"? Have you been vacationing on Mars? Even if you are referring to my previous post indicating that I HAD owned an '03 4MO, that engine was the 2.8.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
yeah, brain fade on my part. but my point still stands. 4Mo and the larger motor will keep him in the low to mid 20s on the freeway and probably under 20 in the city.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
But depending on where he's at, ONE day of snowy conditions added with AWD will make any price paid in extra gas make it competely worth the increased expenditure.

Not to mention, all the luxury goodies alone would entice me to go with the 4mo, and esp since he's getting the sport pkg where the seats alone make me overlook the goofy looks of the B6

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
What does going with 4Mo get you as far as goodies go that you can't get inthe FWD? I'm too lazy to look right now. I'd still do FWD with some snow tires if mileage is even a SMALL concern.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
quality_sound said:
What does going with 4Mo get you as far as goodies go that you can't get inthe FWD? I'm too lazy to look right now. I'd still do FWD with some snow tires if mileage is even a SMALL concern.
This is changing for '07 but for the 06's, the exclusive 3.6 and 4MO "goodies" include: 280 HP, 18" rims with sport suspension, Bi-Xenons, AFS, 12-way power seats, dual exhaust, fogs, wood interior trim (but NOT with the Sport suspension/wheel option) and park distance control.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts