Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, so i'm driving down the road other day, when i turn down my music and hear my car making a really loud noise in the engine, sounds almost like loose heat sheild or something. upon further inspection i find that noise is coming from the head, inside somewhere, and what it is i'm not sure. now i know that my ignittion coil #4 needs replaced, but i was waiting on this 4 a bit for financial reasons. I come upon this noise now, and i'm wondering is this just the coil? can they make this kind of noise if they are going really bad. FYI...the car is running fine otherwise. :(

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
That doesn't sound good! :nervous:
Are you sure it is in the engine and not something else that got loose???
What year it the car? How many miles?

Do you have a VW dealer that you use/trust? You might want to get that checked out by a professional if this forum can't help.

Good luck with it.

·
Banned
3,172 Posts
I don't know about it being the ignition coil because when they go, they go.you'll know...

It's gonna be hard to diagnose w/o us actually HEARING it. As long as you don't have a CEL you should be relatively okay though. Try to monitor the patterns of it and get back to us w/ the details. Take it to a decent shop ASAP.

-Harry

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i just went out and took coilpack number 4 out, just to look around and see if i could find anything wrong. Didn't see anything unusual so I put it back in and put everything back together. Started the car up and the noise seems to have all but disappeared, though my check engine light is still on....very odd...ghost problems... :???:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Any oil loss? Do you have an oil pressure gauge? How does it drive? Recent/past repair history?

Coilpacks like said, when they go: they go. Also, coilpacks were not a problem for our engine; as they were in other codes/years. How do you know this coil pack needs replaced?

Fellow PAer and AEB driver.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
PassatVariantPunk
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing