Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 1.8t 11k
I was sitting parked with the car off and all of a sudden I see the clock just disappear. Everything went out. When I tried to start her nothing, so I figured a dead battery. I got a jump and it still wouldn't start. Then I noticed that the clock just continued to run 1-12 non stop, but the car still would not start. So after waiting another 10-15 min I tried starting her and she started, but then I got an airbag error come up on my dash. I was able to make it home, but she felt weird. I'm going to try and bring her to the dealer today, I was just wondering if anyone knew what this might be linked to? Thanks, Michael

·
Registered
82 Posts
You've got a full factory warranty. Looks like it is time to use it.

While we all "feel" for you with troubles with your "new" car, I guess the gastarbeiters that assembled your car in Germany - must have had too many bratwursts the evening before, washed down with too many glasses of Pilsner.

Seriously, though, the top QA guy at VW was recently quoted at how their attention at VW - to build up quality - will focus on all the suppliers that supply parts to VW.

Translation: They are "passing the buck" for inferior electrical quality to their suppliers. Fortunately, they can't pass the buck when it comes to fixing your car.

I have a brand new (2 weeks) '04 1.8T and love the car. I am hoping I don't have your experience. THe only "tinkering" I've done, so far, is to tape over the DRL connector on the headlight switch.

·
Over 400K miles on my baby!
684 Posts
How long were you parked? When you shut the car off did you remove the key? If not, you probably drained the battery. Unless you remove the key, the comfort system will not shut off. Just a thought..

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I went in to the dealer today and more bad news for me. My clock showed the wrong time over a week ago and I thought nothing much of it at first, but last Wed a woman backed up into the rear of my car. I had an estimate and was set to have it in the body shop this coming monday, well VW today refused to diagnose the problem until after the body shop is done with the car. They said if they find the problem to be coming as a result of the accident that I would be liable for the charges. This is all one big night mare. The woman that backed into me is claiming that I was backing up too and it's both of our faults when I was just sitting in the the parking lot at a target. No police report either because the cop said they don't do reports on private property. So now everything is on hold with the insurance company because we both have the same insurance company. I'm just hoping I don't get screwed on this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
when I first got my Passat in 98, it came with an aftermarket sunroof that the DEALER had installed at an outside place. Of course, I started having problems with the car the first week of ownership.. the doorchime stopped working. When I took it in, before they even diagnosed the problem, they started to tell me that my whole warranty was void because I have an aftermarket sunroof. What a bunch of fools. Well my dad was with me and he's a lawyer and that got him a little excited ;-) .... he threatened to sue them to hell and back for selling me a car that THEY altered, thus THEY voided the warranty. Anyhow... they changed tune rather quickly, and found out., of course, that the sunroof has NOTHING to do with my doorchime. The doorchime, by the way, takes a new instrument cluster, and it broke several more times. I give up!!!

Anyhow, sorry to get off track, but I really doubt that your car's problems are from being backed into. If the car can't even withstand a small hit in the bumper, what a piece! the dealer is just trying to cover their ass I guess.. and who knows, they might not even be competent enough to find the problem, anyhow. Most the dealers I went to weren't competent at all.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
You could try making sure the battery connections are tight and the ground cable is connected tightly to the chassis.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Translation: They are "passing the buck" for inferior electrical quality to their suppliers. Fortunately, they can't pass the buck when it comes to fixing your car.
Passing the buck seems common for VAG. Look at how they are trying to blame a bad grounding or bad ECU on getting rear ended. :mad:

·
Registered
212 Posts
ytqm said:
How long were you parked? When you shut the car off did you remove the key? If not, you probably drained the battery. Unless you remove the key, the comfort system will not shut off. Just a thought..
I thought :crazy: I read somewhere that the Comfort System will shut off after 15 min.

... or was that rolling up the windows after you pull the key,

So much to rember.

So what kind of battery life we git with the radio going and the engine not turned over??? anybody find out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.