Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Need security lug adapter

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  captainfantastic 
#1 ·
Anyone who has changed out their factory wheels still have the security lug bolt adapter?

I need a 21 spline, 17 mm tool.

The DPO did not have it and I really don't want to deal with the local stealership. They are dreadful gougers.

Thanks.

#3 ·
Yes, OEM style.

Where's mine? Wish I knew, or I wouldnt' be askng for one! I bought the car used, and when I went to rotate the tires, I found the security bolts holding the wheels on. (My other Passat, also bought used did not have them so I wasn't expecting them.)

The adapter was not in the kit. I searched the trunk and every conceivable place on the car. I called the lot that sold me the car, and they said they knew nothing about it. (The place is 100 miles away, anyway.)

I've read all the emergency ways to remove these bloody bolts, but I don't want to go that route unless I have to. I've even tried a few friends who also own VW's , but their wheels have already had the damn security bolts pitched and replaced with standard hex ones, so they don't have a tool to lend either.

#4 ·
Yes, OEM style.

Where's mine? Wish I knew, or I wouldnt' be askng for one! I bought the car used, and when I went to rotate the tires, I found the security bolts holding the wheels on. (My other Passat, also bought used did not have them so I wasn't expecting them.)

The adapter was not in the kit. I searched the trunk and every conceivable place on the car. I called the lot that sold me the car, and they said they knew nothing about it. (The place is 100 miles away, anyway.)

I've read all the emergency ways to remove these bloody bolts, but I don't want to go that route unless I have to. I've even tried a few friends who also own VW's , but their wheels have already had the damn security bolts pitched and replaced with standard hex ones, so they don't have a tool to lend either.

#5 ·
Never mind.

I bypassed my local dealer, and called Valley VW (formerly Rule VW) in Staunton, VA, a not-too-far hike over the Blue Ridge mountains for me.

After I choked at their initial phone quote of $40 bucks just to unscrew the 4 lugs, they revised it to $18. It was not a busy morning for them, and when I brought the car in, I chatted with the service manager for awhile while the mechanic wrenched off the bolts.

By the time we were done talking VW's, he waved away my credit card.

It was a bit of a drive, so I am out the price of a few gallons of premium. But it was worth it. I'll be dealing with these guys in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.