Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first bought an SMC wireless router (b version), but found out it didn't support VPN passthrough which, afaik, I need to have in order to get past the NAT to connect to the office.

So then I got the g version, which has a few extras including vpn passthrough. But the docs are minimal to say the least. All I get is:

Network Address Translation (NAT) --
From this section you can configure the Address Mapping, Virtual
Server, and Special Application features that provide control over
the port openings in the router’s firewall. This section can be
used to support several Internet based applications such as VPN
I know we have a few router gurus here...would anyone lend a hand? :bow:

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In my searching so far I see that I need to set up several ports for vpn to access through the router. Apparently I need to identify a local port(s) and public port(s) and enable them through udp and tcp...how do I id which ports I need to open?

am I going in the right direction here?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
hmmm, I just installed a linksys wireless router onto my cisco 3002 VPN, and all I had to do to get it working was clone the MAC address of the NIC to the router.

are you using a hardware VPN or SW like Cisco client?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Darter:

From what I can tell with the info on their web site, the new software adds the capability to provide VPN pass-through for IPSec, which is what Cisco VPN client uses. Did you give it a try without opening various special ports?

Which model of SMC router do you have, and what software version do you have?

Also, which wireless cards are you using?

i actually have an SMC router sitting at home that I'm not using. May be I'll turn it on tonight and take a quick look.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using an SMC 2804WBR, but I'm trying this on the wired side of it at the moment. I'm using Nortel Networks Contivity VPN client to connect to work. The conection cannot be established out of the box, and the client's documentation sugguests I need to configure the firewall accordingly. I'm reading that to mean that I need to open some ports for it to use.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Not a router guru here and not sure if this even helps, but I've been using VPN through my Linksys wired router for several months. I've been using IPSec Client (granted it's company specific - Lucent) and can use any connection (i.e. dial-up, DSL, cable, etc.) to setup a VPN. I didn't change any settings in the router, just setup the IPSec client properly to have it work with my current employer's tunnel end points, login, and password. Just had to bind the IPSec Client component to the network adapter you're using and it worked - no changes in router settings.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ex-nissmax said:
Which version of sofware are you running?
Contivity V04_65.18

shummer said:
Just had to bind the IPSec Client component to the network adapter you're using and it worked - no changes in router settings.
That sounds like something I should look into. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Darter:

I think you need to configure Port Triggering under NAT/Special Applications in the following manner:

Trigger port: 500, trigger type: both
Public ports: 500, 17, 50, 51, public type: both

The VPN client will start the app using UDP port 500, and the VPN server will open an inbound connection also on UDP port 500. The other ports will be needed for IPSec key management and IPSec encapsulation.

Before doing the step above, I suggest you configure your machine as a DMZ host and test your Contivity software to make sure it works without anything being blocked.

Sorry I can't provide much more info. SMC and Nortel VPN are not exactly my cup of tea :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts