Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my 99 1.8T in for my 40K tune/service to an independant mechanic. I will be having him change plugs and do a bunch of things I have been wanting done for a while, so I can get my chip installed in the next few weeks. I already changed my oil to Redline 5w-30 and a K&N filter. I also have the K&N airfilter.

I know so many of you have already done many more miles than me, I need recommendations and any advice on the following items:

Best spark plug (Beru ultra-X?)
Best brake fluid for daily use
Best Coolant (Seattle Mild climate)
Best light bulbs for Headlamp and Fog (H4/H7) vision plus/silverstar?

Should I change to Redlines power steering fluid?
Any good plug wires I should use?
Best Engine Cover Paint to use?

Any other recommendations while I do the tune? I will be checking the timeing belt and tensioner, and all the normal 40K stuff.

Thanks for all help :)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any takers?

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
there's a big debate over spark plugs. the denso coppers are cheap and perform better, but won't last as long as the OE NGK's.

as for brake fluid, any DOT 4 should be fine. for better performance, you can use ATE 200.

you don't need to change the coolant now. i'd wait till 60k so that i can do it with the timing belt. in any case, the coolant is G12

for bulbs, get the osram silver stars

for 40k service, you really should bring it to the dealer at least for the timing belt check, else they might not warranty it if the timing belt fails, which could cause thousands in damge.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That helps a lot. Any more knowledgable input on these items?

Also a question on my warranty...I bought my car used with 32000 miles, but it is now at 41000 and over 5 yrs old (a 99). Am I entitled to any warranty still if something happens like a timing belt or water pump or even a main seal??? Can anyone enlighten me?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Ya, my vote is for Vision + H4s and H7s, i've had them since January and they work and perform great :thumbup:

For coolant, just stick with the G12 (the pink stuff) you can get from VW.
But that shouldn't need to be changed until you do your T-Belt

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Spooner said:
Best spark plug (Beru ultra-X?)
Best brake fluid for daily use
Best Coolant (Seattle Mild climate)
Best light bulbs for Headlamp and Fog (H4/H7) vision plus/silverstar?

Any other recommendations while I do the tune? I will be checking the timeing belt and tensioner, and all the normal 40K stuff.

Thanks for all help :)
For a spark plug, my dealer went ahead and installed the Bosch Plat 4's. I have the same year as your car. 41K??? man you are lucky! I use PIAA's for my bulbs. They do cost a little more but I have the best light. Coolant...yeah stay with VW "pepto" colored stuff. :D If you're in Seattle then IM me for some recomendations as to where to go for parts and service. Couple of great places who will take good care of you.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Spooner said:
That helps a lot. Any more knowledgable input on these items?

Also a question on my warranty...I bought my car used with 32000 miles, but it is now at 41000 and over 5 yrs old (a 99). Am I entitled to any warranty still if something happens like a timing belt or water pump or even a main seal??? Can anyone enlighten me?
assuming you didn't buy it from a family member and it's not CPO, the transferred powertrain warranty is for 5yr/50k. you might still have a little left depending on when the car was originally bought.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will take it in this week! Thanks D.Passat! Any other comments about the parts I mentioned?

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Spooner:

Light: I have the Silver Stars and i like them, but never tried any others yet.

Brake Fluid: Any DOT 4 will do, but i get mine from the dealership

Coolant: G12, the pink stuff from the dealership as well, i think it's the best

Spark plugs: at my 40k, i used what the stock ones from my VW dealership, but i heard nothing but good from the Beru-Ultra and NGK's fers.

Oil: I always used the 5W30 Castrol Full Syntec, every 3000 miles, awsome lube, it works great for my 1.8T.

Good luck Spooner, keep us posted on that chip.............Rah..... :b5: :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts