Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've also got about 5k on mine and they're a HUGE improvement over the stock Contis... These are so sure in pouring rain it's like a different car! Only downside I've noticed is a hit in MPGs...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still on the fence......

Still can't decide on the Kumho Ecsta 716 or the BFG Traction T/A. The Kumhos are a great buy at only around $65/tire. Just wonder if the saying "you get what you pay for" applies to the Kumhos. The BFGs look like the tread pattern would work well for the PA winters, but might be louder on the highway. Can someone guide me in the right direction? Just need a good reliable tire for the family car. Would like to get them before our road trip (vacation) next month. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
The Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 is all about comfort and ride noise. They have unusually good traction for a tire of it's price, but that doesn't mean that they'll hold a candle Falken Ziex ZE-512s or Bridgestone Turanzas.

I have a set of those Kumhos 190/60/15 on my wife's car and they're pretty good. I'm not entirely sure that they warrant all of the rave reviews that they get on Tire Rack (remember, these reviewers just got rid of balding or poor quality OEM tires). But all in all, assuming they get decent tread life (only had them a year), I'd buy them for her Saturn again in a heartbeat. Sorry that I can't comment about treadlife.

Remember that the Supra 712s are considered UHPS (ultra high perf summer, read: soft and sticky compound) while the Ecsta HP4 716s are GTAS (Grand Touring All Season, read: harder compound but softer sidewall for better comfort).

I can't comment on the BFG Traction T/A.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.