Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

need opinion plz

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ontothenext 
#1 ·
Hi i just bought a 2003 passat 1.8 4cyl 2 weeks ago and a couple days ago i started to gear a hissing noise when i accelerate and i have no power or speed and finally i am on the freeway and i see a cloud of white smoke coming from my exhsust now i only have two mechanics saying it's my turbo and will charge 800 .i dont mind paying that only if that is the actual problem. Could it be something else? And is it worth repairing . ? Because i don't want to fix something Again.again.month after month. I would rather junk it so any opinion advise or suggestions is helpful thank you mileage 104000, purchase price 5k

#3 ·
It's hard to provide an accurate diagnosis from one paragraph of text. At this point, I'd have to go with what two mechanics who have actually seen the car have said. $800 seems too inexpensive. A quality turbo alone will cost that much not including the labor to install it. Are they planning to use a $400 Chinese knockoff turbo?

#4 ·
P3078 p0299 are the codes from an obd2 .. Hhm im not sure where the turbo is coming from maybe TJ at the vw factory me living in San Diego.. Comes with six month warranty yea i thought 800 was alot also a vw dealer in TJ also told me 350 then they called me back saying it went up saying it's 775 new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.